Display Stands

General race coordinator discussions.
BaltimoreRob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Display Stands

Post by BaltimoreRob »

Hello all. Our pack has in the past let the boy's pick the best paint, Best design and so forth. Now we have just left the cars sit on a table and each boy would get a colored bead that would reflect the certificate award. I would like to build a stand that the cars would sit on so they couldn't get knocked of the table. Does anyone have pictures of what they have built?
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Display Stands

Post by scoutfrog »

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Edit: misconstrued
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

BaltimoreRob wrote:Hello all. Our pack has in the past let the boy's pick the best paint, Best design and so forth. Now we have just left the cars sit on a table and each boy would get a colored bead that would reflect the certificate award. I would like to build a stand that the cars would sit on so they couldn't get knocked of the table. Does anyone have pictures of what they have built?
If I understand, you want to safely display a whole pack's worth of cars in a safe, visible and equitable manner. I think that it would be valuable if the setup could also serve as a pit during racing.

A variation of the "assigned parking pit table" might be applicable. I've also seen flexible cushioned mesh lining material used with numbered parking spaces drawn on. The storage implications are very different! :)

For "front row" display, consider a narrow variation of this self supported, Cub Scout height table. Possibly simply a long "tray" that sits on top of an existing table.

These tables are between 7 and 8 feet long and hold 50 cars in two rows of 25 cars. The lips around the edge and down the center are about 3/4" high.

For your purposes, the table could be redesigned like a one row tray with a separate area behind for the voting containers to be placed. At race time, the trays could be consolidated on fewer tables.

I thought I had a pic of the roll-up mat, but nil! If you planned to use existing tables, the roll-up mat is a very attractive alternative, since cars do not roll well on the spongy surface.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:If I understand, you want to safely display a whole pack's worth of cars in a safe, visible and equitable manner. I think that it would be valuable if the setup could also serve as a pit during racing.
If that is the case, I misconstrued. :oops:
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

We have taken a large framed cork bulletin board and used it as a "parking lot". It is then possible to fasten thumb tacks to the material of your choice (e.g., long wood strips) and make removable separation dividers that fasten into the cork so the cars don't roll into each other while parked. When you're done, put the bulletin board back on the wall and put away the dividers until next year. ;)
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Here is the Race Display Stand I built a couple of years back for our pack:

Race Display Stand

When I used the search function I found these discussions on Display Stands showing a lot of good ideas:

Pit Stop Stadium

Car in waiting

Impound Stand
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

ah8tk wrote: When I used the search function I found these discussions on Display Stands showing a lot of good ideas:

Pit Stop Stadium

Car in waiting

Impound Stand
Me, I like calling them "Parking Lots" with each car having its assigned parking spot.
Randy Lisano

ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Well if I search parking we get even more:

A commercial version by gpraceman himself, a really good idea:

available HERE

and another discussion that does not show any pictures (anymore) of the Parking Lot.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

ah8tk wrote:A commercial version by gpraceman himself, a really good idea:
Yes, that is what I use for the races that I run, but I didn't want to come across as trying to advertise them outside of the appropriate forum.
Randy Lisano

Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Because our "parking lot" is so far away from the track staging area, our pack wanted me to come up with some sort of large trays that could easily hold an entire Den's cars, and be movable to the staging area when it came time for that Den to race. Here's what I came up with:

Basically I used some 1.5" by 0.75" furrowing strips on a thin 0.25" piece of press board. The centers are made from the same furrowing strips using 3M mounting tape to hold the non-skid rubber surface to the top of it. The compartments are 8" by 3.25". At first I just tried making the compartments without the center guides in them. The cars didn't shift much side to side, but back and forth caused a lot of banging around. :o With the rubber topped center strips, the cars don't move at all. In fact I can easily tilt the carriers at a 60 degree angle for displaying them and still not worry about the car falling out. We used some small work tables from the daycare at the Church to use as risers to get the proper tilted angle for viewing. A couple handles on the sides and these things should last a very long time.

I built six of these large carriers and a small six compartment carrier to use for getting the cars at the end of the track and bringing them back to the impound area. The furrowing strips cost just under $2 for a six foot long piece and I got 25 of them (for a total of $50 in wood). The back board cost another $15 (cut down by the guys at Home Depot), and the handles cost about $42 ($3 a pop! :O ). The 3M mounting tape cost around $40 ($10 per roll and I used four rolls) and the non-skid rubber shelving mats were about $12. Add another $20 for screws and wood glue and we invested about $180 for all six (about $30 per carrier). They are very nice looking and worked fantastically at our derby this year.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

Just thought I would share my latest project. I have seen lots of neat pit stop/parking lot/stadium display ideas on here and I decided my church awana program needed one. As we have rather small group we can afford a larger unit (space wise) so I came up with this... 8 ft long,can hold up to 36 cars (we've never had more than 20), has ample room for builders labels above each car, and the two halves lock together for storage/transport.
in the past we just did this... needed improvement. :oops:
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Wow guys those are some very nice looking Display Stands/Parking Lots
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?