Adults and Outlaws

General race coordinator discussions.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Adults and Outlaws

Post by 10range »

I am not really sure about where to put this so if it does not fit here, mods please feel free to move or delete this post.

Last night was our Awana Grand Prix. We usually have very good attendance for the race with most of the parents attending. After the race I had a few parents approach me about holding a couple of races thought the year open to anyone. I had also built a propeller car to demonstrate at "half time" of the race and there are a couple people interested in something like this also.

My goal is to use this as an outreach for our church because many of the people who would not miss the kids race, are the ones that attend seldom, if at all on Sundays.

Any suggestions on ideas in this area or is anyone already doing something like this?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Adults and Outlaws

Post by gpraceman »

It does seem a shame to only use a track setup once a year.

I have heard of some clubs setup their track for their Awana year kick-off and registration event, Awana Fair (or even a church fair), and as an "Invitational Race" (clubbers invite their friends). With these events, you don't need to do the usual hand out of the kits ahead of time. You could provide pre-cuts (Awana even sells a couple of designs) and just have them put them together at the event and decorate with markers and stickers. Maybe leave out a section of the track, so you don't have to worry about trying to add weights to the cars.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Adults and Outlaws

Post by Scubersteve »

Several of us adults at my church have started a similar ongoing competition. we created multiple classes, drafted some rules, and have held four races in the last year. We have been trying to use it as an outreach tool. It's been a good time, and it all started from "why don't we use this track more than once a year?" I hope you develop it further. If you want to see what we have done, check it out at http://www.burgessroadsters.org" target="_blank
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?