Relubrication during competition

General race coordinator discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Relubrication during competition

Post by Stan Pope »

FatSebastian wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:Not sure of the meaning of "necessary replacement".
I should have said "necessary repair." You already addressed it to some degree here. Basically there may be a subjective determination as to whether a trip to the pit area is "necessary" - who makes the decision that the car has become "non-competitive" (your words)? For example, after an unfortunate encounter with the stop section, the racing team may notice a slow down in their car over the next heat or two (being most familiar with the car) indicating a "bent axle" (misalignment) but the "damage", although real, may not quite be an obvious change "from its inspected state". I suppose this is another topic entirely.
"Ah! It's the old hidden collision trick!" (To misquote Maxwell Smart once again.)

If there is a time record that can be viewed, then it would be an easy call. (A car turns in heats of 2.483, 2.489, and 2.574, for instance.) I don't think I could overturn the heat in which the issue was recognized on the clock, because the owner/driver was up close and personal to view and hear and visually inspect the car at the time of the collision. That was a missed opportunity for which he must bear some responsibility. However, having recognized the damage, a closer inspection should show the exact nature of the damage and it should be easy to convince the appropriate track official of the need for repair. If the race car's design contributed to the risk, the time for repair may be limited, etc., but probably an opportunity to repair should be granted. For the record, I don't think that being too fast for the stop section is a "contributor!"
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Stan Pope wrote:For the record, I don't think that being too fast for the stop section is a "contributor!"
Elaborate please... "contributor" to what? Is this just suggesting that my example of an insult caused by the stop section not stopping might be ruled by yourself as a design flaw rather than "no-fault"?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

FatSebastian wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:For the record, I don't think that being too fast for the stop section is a "contributor!"
Elaborate please... "contributor" to what? Is this just suggesting that my example of an insult caused by the stop section not stopping might be ruled by yourself as a design flaw rather than "no-fault"?
Sorry, that was a bit obtuse!

A stop section terminated by a 2X4 would put the onus on the track as at fault if a car were "too fast" to stop on the skid part and crashed the 2X4. If, on the other hand, the car "crashed" into a pillow, such as a nice chunk of Tempurpedic, and bent the front axles back because the front wheels were flush with the front of the car, then the race car shares the onus.
Stan
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Clearer (although it seems I understood all along) - thanks!

I guess the next step would be to draft the wording of a preferred approach involving "break-in laps" and lubrication options. (I am already imaging that getting a bit complicated. :blink: )
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

FatSebastian wrote:Clearer (although it seems I understood all along) - thanks!

I guess the next step would be to draft the wording of a preferred approach involving "break-in laps" and lubrication options. (I am already imaging that getting a bit complicated. :blink: )
Maybe complicated, maybe not. But you guys have given me 2 pages worth of good analysis material that will help immeasurably!
Stan