Allow Non-BSA axles?

General race coordinator discussions.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Allow Non-BSA axles?

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

What are folks thoughts about allowing non-BSA axles.
W Racing!!!!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Allow Non-BSA axles?

Post by Darin McGrew »

pwrd by tungsten wrote:What are folks thoughts about allowing non-BSA axles.
We prohibit BSA axles. We also prohibit PineCar axles, Awana axles, and any axles other than CSB axles.

For a kid-oriented derby, I think it's best if everyone uses the same kits, especially the wheels and axles. An outlaw derby, corporate derby, or other non-kid-oriented derby might be different.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'm certainly not fond of the BSA axles, but I feel for a BSA race, you should be using BSA kit parts. Racers should be using the same basic raw materials, specifically wheels and axles, in order to keep the playing field more even. If you provide another type of axle to all racers, then it is less of an issue.

However, what about your district and council race rules? To allow non-BSA axles at our pack race can cause your racers problems entering an upper level race. Even if the axles are swapped out, the racers can run into problems. The pin type axles are generally larger in diameter than the BSA axles, which can make for harder alignment.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Fortunately the rules will be council wide... Pack, district and council will use the same rules...
W Racing!!!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pwrd by tungsten wrote:Fortunately the rules will be council wide... Pack, district and council will use the same rules...
Interesting. I still think that for a BSA race, racers should be using BSA approved parts. Buying BSA parts helps support scouting in general, which packs/districts/councils should certainly do. Same should be true for races put on by other organizations. Their local groups should be supporting the national organization to keep programs going and growing.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:I still think that for a BSA race, racers should be using BSA approved parts.
I agree with gpraceman (although a non-Scout race might be a different story). I suppose any official BSA replacement axles, including those marketed by Revell, should be allowed.

When drafting rules, one should also consider the expectations of the participants. For a BSA scout race, I would guess that racers are expecting BSA axles to be a requirement, as this one of the rules in the box, unless there is already a strong local precedent allowing otherwise.

Personally, I also would not put restrictions on the degree of axle modification (such as "no grooves"), because axle modifications can be hard to inspect and, IMO, features like grooves are not "silver bullets" anyway. (The one restriction I might consider is "no nickel plating" because then it becomes difficult to tell if an inspector is looking at a BSA axle or an aftermarket one; however, I think the likelihood of teams attempting to re-plate official BSA axles would be quite small!) One might further express an intent like "no commercially or professionally modified BSA axles" but racers are sort of on the honor system anyway.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

FatSebastian wrote:One might further express an intent like "no commercially or professionally modified BSA axles" but racers are sort of on the honor system anyway.
I agree with the intent, but such a rule can be difficult to inspect with accuracy. Many would pass, but, perhaps, enough would be eliminated to make it meaningful.

The inspector may have very little to look at when judging the authenticity of an axle. With drilled axle holes, he might be able to see only the outside of the axle head! Some rules require a "viewing port" to be drilled to show the axle point. When axle holes are used, some rules require that the outside of the axle head remain unmodified.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

A council and district set of rules that are the same, So all the kits used for the entire area are the same. Less confusion and issues.

BSA only.

Sporty