DerbyWorx tools being sold by BSA - conflict with rules?

General race coordinator discussions.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

DerbyWorx tools being sold by BSA - conflict with rules?

Post by *5 J's* »

Has anybody noticed that all the DerbyWorx tools are being sold in the BSA's Winter/Gift 2010 catalog (pgs 4 & 5). I sent an email to our District Executive inquiring about a preceived conflict between our Council/District rules and these products that are being offered. The way I interpret our rule the Pro-Out Hub tool, Pro Rail-Rider tool, and the Pro-Body tool as used in step 3 of the advertisement to lift a wheel, would all produce a car in violation of our rules. My concern is disqualifing a car for a violation such a having a lifted wheel - when a parent used a tool as sold and advertised in an official BSA catalog. I believe our rules should be consistent with the tools offered via the BSA when used for thier intended use.

Please understand - I am glad to see BSA offer these tools - I just wish our rules allowed their use.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: DerbyWorx tools being sold by BSA - conflict with rules?

Post by psycaz »

One thing to consider is that the folks in your area are using the rules they create. They aren't created by BSA national. I think all of those tools are legal if you were to go by the "rules in the box" which come closed to national rules.

It really is as it has always been - check you rules to see if something is legal.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Our council is strict and somewhat out dated in the rules, but they have gone to great lengths to ensure fair and equal cars.

Inspection is tight and good. they look for lighter wheels and ect. and even use the paper to ensure the entire wheel is flat and to ensure the 4th wheel, which most of us, lfit a tad to just touch is making contact.

I wish they would allow oil, graphite is more messier. But are cars are also impounded for upto 2 months, while other packs in our council have later race dates and are much closer to the council race date.

I wish they would allow relube outside of the building before the race. Due to that issue.

The other commone issue is, soem cars run more heats than others and can run out of lube and slow down when facing a newer fresher car. While not a perfect method.

I wish they could go to a timed race for everyone, 6 or 9 runs and let the softwaer compute for a finals race. Quicker ran race and more fairer for everyone.

But that also requires allot of tracks with timers and software. were talking like 10 tracks.

sporty
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

*5 J's* wrote:Has anybody noticed that all the DerbyWorx tools are being sold in the BSA's Winter/Gift 2010 catalog (pgs 4 & 5).
:nod: DerbyWorx tools have been sold by BSA since 2009.
*5 J's* wrote:I sent an email to our District Executive inquiring about a preceived conflict between our Council/District rules and these products that are being offered.
Your situation seems unusual since you operate under Council-wide rules, but there is no Council-wide race. I would be curious to know if/how your Council responds.
*5 J's* wrote:I believe our rules should be consistent with the tools offered via the BSA when used for thier intended use.
A lot of units maintain rules that are inconsistent with the rules in the box, which everybody sees. Even the rules between various BSA sources differ. Even BSA "uniforms" aren't necessarily (i.e., we see a lot of retro uniforms at summer camp).
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

psycaz wrote:One thing to consider is that the folks in your area are using the rules they create. They aren't created by BSA national. I think all of those tools are legal if you were to go by the "rules in the box" which come closed to national rules.

It really is as it has always been - check you rules to see if something is legal.
Yes, I understand what my rules are. That is not the issue.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:I sent an email to our District Executive inquiring about a preceived conflict between our Council/District rules and these products that are being offered.
Your situation seems unusual since you operate under Council-wide rules, but there is no Council-wide race. I would be curious to know if/how your Council responds.
Yea, it is a bit unusual. When I asked our DE who the POC was at Council, he stated that the rules are mandated at the District Level - even though they are titled "Pine Tree Council Rules". They are also consistent with other Districts posted "Pine Tree Council Rules". Perhaps at one time they had Council races and Council rules, but the races went by the wayside and the rules remain. Just a theory.
FatSebastian wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:I believe our rules should be consistent with the tools offered via the BSA when used for their intended use.
A lot of units maintain rules that are inconsistent with the rules in the box, which everybody sees. Even the rules between various BSA sources differ. Even BSA "uniforms" aren't necessarily (i.e., we see a lot of retro uniforms at summer camp).
Yes, I definitely understand and all parents should read their local rules. A couple of things could be done to preclude any issue - one the BSA catalog should note that you should check local rules prior to purchasing and using these tools - or our rules should be updated to allow the use of "officially" licensed tools.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

*5 J's* wrote:Yes, I definitely understand and all parents should read their local rules.
Yes, although I was wondering aloud if "consistency" through the BSA is generally expected within (and without) PWD. ;)
*5 J's* wrote:one the BSA catalog should note that you should check local rules prior to purchasing and using these tools.
That sounds like a very wise idea, 5 J's. BSA supply might add such fine print if you contacted them with your concern?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Our own District is also showing conflict with tools and books sold with what their rules allow.
I've pleaded the case for simpler rules, allow creativity and all the tips and tools they advertise at BSA shops. No dice yet.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.