Wotamalo District 2011 Races

General race coordinator discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Wotamalo District 2011 Races

Post by Stan Pope »

I spent a fun day yesterday "hip deep" in Cub Scouts at the annual Wotamalo District PW Races. Watched Grandson Andrew race the car that he and his dad made. He finished a close #2 in Bears to the youngster that he narrowly beat out last year for #1. Youngster had a really good car!

The rebuild was left home ... it averaged 0.001 seconds slower than his pack car and was less consistent. Andrew raced with the Piantedoi-proven car that won his pack races. (I realized after the fact that he should have taken it and made some trial runs on one of those nice Piantedois tracks after racing was done to validate the decision to race with the pack car. Oh, well!)

Also held a short review with the 12% of the Cubs who thought that they had ended their day without a heat win. Did a one-on-one review of each car, complimenting workmanship and suggesting things that would make their car more competitive. Where defects were quickly correctable, we did so. (Was mostly beginner mistakes, of course, but I think boys and their parents appreciated the time spent.) Then I went head-to-head against 'em on the track with specially prepared cars. (As a small bonus, I asked them to be the starter for their heat as well.) I went about zero for 30. Best 30 races I ever lost! The goal was that each of the about 270 Scouts entered wore a ribbon home saying, "I won a race at the District PW Derby" (or words to that effect.)

One of the nice things done was to have each boy's picture taken with his car and smile and mounted on a car-display plaque for the boy's to take home after the racing was complete.

Went off in a corner (alignment board in hand) with some dads that wanted one-on-one post-race consultation. I think I helped 'em be a lot better next year. Hope so.

I went home pretty wasted ... always do after all-day events. But the "really wasted" contingent included daughter Sam (event chair) and husband Jim (her #1 assistant, announcer, go-fer, runner, enforcer, etc.) But hey, they're young and they can take it! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wotamalo District 2011 Races

Post by ah8tk »

Great Job, Stan! (like we would expect any less from you)

I bet a lot of scouts went home and thought of how they were going to build next years car (and a lot of dads, too).

Andy
SamHou
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by SamHou »

Dad,
How you handled the Celebrity Race-Off was brilliant. Thank you so much for thinking of it! Instead of feeling disappointed about losing 5 straight races, the boys went home feeling good about themselves, their cars, and empowered for next year!

I have thought for a couple of years that I need to have a Stan's Consulting Corner. How about your very own table and some chairs next year where all the Derby-heads can congregate.

It is thanks to the policies that you and the previous committees have put in place over the last 30 odd years that we have a fantastically easy to run event that drew 301 registrations and 270 actual participants. Pretty good for a small district with only 30 Cub units and one lonely, overworked DE.

I wish every District had a Stan Pope in it!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

If there is any doubt, that's my "baby daughter!" :)

Just in case she didn't pick up on it, there are a bunch of people right here on DT who are supporting the racers in their districts and many go well beyond the minimum in making the racing experience better for the boys in their districts.
Stan
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Stan, it sound's like you had a really good time at the Wotomalo District 2011 Races

Ok Stan i'm not picking on you but i do have an idea that might keep you up in good shape!

Hopefully you'll find this as funny Stan.

EXERCIZE BLOCK
1. place block on floor
2. walk around it twice
3. sit down!! Relax!!

Congratulations you have just walked around the block twice!! ;)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Nice work Stan! Sounds like a great way to spend the day.
Our District race is 12 March... let's hope it's good too.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

rpcarpe wrote:Nice work Stan! Sounds like a great way to spend the day.
Our District race is 12 March... let's hope it's good too.
My wishes for a stressless day for you!
Stan