What is a dry lube?

General race coordinator discussions.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

What is a dry lube?

Post by MaxV »

This question is primarily for those of you that act as race officials to determine whether or not cars meet the race rules.

Assuming that your race rules require a 'dry lube' then consider the following:

- No question that graphite, and other powders are considered 'dry lubes', and would acceptable by the rules.

- No question that NyOil II and other oils are 'liquid lubes' and would not be acceptable by the rules.

But what about:

- A spray-on lube that has a carrier which evaporates, leaving a dry film (e.g., Elmer's Slide All)? Is this a dry or liquid lube according to your interpretation?

- Graphite or another powder mixed in a liquid carrier. It is painted on, the carrier evaporates, leaving a dry coating? Is this a dry or liquid lube?

Maybe the phrase "Only dry lubricants are allowed" as a race rule is not sufficiently clear as it is open to interpretation.
Last edited by MaxV on Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What is a dry lube?

Post by gpraceman »

MaxV wrote:Maybe the phrase "Only dry lubricants are allowed" as a race rule is not sufficient clear as it is open to interpretation.
I believe the original intention of that rule was to keep lubricants from fouling the track. As you know, many thin-film lubricants can be used without fouling the track, but you do have to be concerned about the person that thinks "more is better" and you'd have the stuff oozing out all over. This can be caught at inspection, but I think because of that many will stick to the "dry lube only" rule. To me, that should mean dry at the time of check-in inspection, not at the time of application.

On a side note, I think the "graphite only" rules are too restrictive and are probably an extreme attempt to make sure a dry lube is used. Of course, detecting the use of graphite is pretty easy to do.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote:On a side note, I think the "graphite only" rules are too restrictive and are probably an extreme attempt to make sure a dry lube is used.
I'm not so sure. I think some of them are attempts to "level the playing field" by eliminating advantages (e.g., better lubes) that aren't available to everyone. This is the same attitude that's behind requiring everyone to use the original slots, or requiring everyone to use unpolished "stock" axles.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

darin_mcgrew wrote:I'm not so sure. I think some of them are attempts to "level the playing field" by eliminating advantages (e.g., better lubes) that aren't available to everyone. This is the same attitude that's behind requiring everyone to use the original slots, or requiring everyone to use unpolished "stock" axles.
But better lubes are available to everyone. Some may require you to look around some to find a source, but all of the lubes discussed on this board are available.

I can understand leveling the playing field by making everyone use the same wheels and axles, but beyond that, I think it stifles creativity and innovation. My 2cents.

Now that we've gone off track (my fault :oops: ), we should try to get back to the question at hand...
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
DMWOOD
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DMWOOD »

I would define it as dry at the race check-in. I also allow the use of thin film lubricants in our race so I also have to define it as not oozing.

If the idea of this rule was to keep from making a mess on the track then graphite should be banned. It gets all over the cars, clothes, tables, floor & track and you know how much fun it is to clean up the graphite.

Sorry, I just had to clean up the pit area table today at the district race.
Now I feel a little better.