No, we do not conduct one, and probably won't
31%

Total votes: 13

idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post Race Survey

Post by idpwdnut »

Stan mentioned this on another topic and I thought I would start a topic dealing with surveys for the race and see what others do. I have just always relied on word of mouth and asking people how it went. That probably is not the most effective way.

In my last District, I took over the District Race because of the problems that had occurred in the races for several years. Because of that, the DE and I had a very close working relationship to discuss any potential problems or compliants that were recieved or precieved.

But what do the rest of you do? What type of questions do you have on it?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Post Race Survey

Post by rpcarpe »

I always ask for the Worst Thing, and the Best Thing.
Include a space that if they'd like to help with next year's event, you can contact them.
Remember... 'The officials for this event are all volunteers, before criticizing them consider taking their place.'

I can feel your pain... We had a bad District race two years ago... and I'll probably be deeply involved in next years event.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

We try to do "roses, buds, and thorns" after our big events. That way people can provide feedback in all areas, not just complaints. For those of you that have never heard of this:

A rose is something that was done very well and people want to see continued.
A bud is something that went well but there is room for growth (improvement).
A thorn is something that did not go well and people want to see avoided or discontinued.

It gives people an opportunity to say something good but at the same time gives them a chance to sound off on something negative without being too confrontational.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

drathbun wrote:We try to do "roses, buds, and thorns" after our big events. That way people can provide feedback in all areas, not just complaints. For those of you that have never heard of this:

A thorn is something that did not go well and people want to see avoided or discontinued.

It gives people an opportunity to say something good but at the same time gives them a chance to sound off on something negative without being too confrontational.
I like that approach!
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by derbyspeed »

This is definitely an excellent survey/topic. Having a post race survey allows everyone to be involved and would do nothing but improve the event for next year if handled correctly.

I often hear volunteers say, if they don't like it they can volunteer next year. That seems like a one sided approach to improving things for the kids racing. Having a good survey and allowing others the opportunity to not only express concerns but also praises is a win/win approach.

Excellent idea! :nod:
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by idpwdnut »

gpraceman wrote:
drathbun wrote:We try to do "roses, buds, and thorns" after our big events. That way people can provide feedback in all areas, not just complaints. For those of you that have never heard of this:

I like that approach!
I like this idea too! For the Wood Badgers out there, its the Stop, Start, Continue approach.
derbyspeed wrote:This is definitely an excellent survey/topic. Having a post race survey allows everyone to be involved and would do nothing but improve the event for next year if handled correctly.

I often hear volunteers say, if they don't like it they can volunteer next year. That seems like a one sided approach to improving things for the kids racing. Having a good survey and allowing others the opportunity to not only express concerns but also praises is a win/win approach.

Excellent idea! :nod:
Thanks derbyspeed. I am thinking of having a survey for the Cubs and one for the parents. I think it would be interesting to see the difference views of each. Ask the parents, if their Cub Scout had fun and ask the Cub Scout if their parents had fun.