List of Unenforceable Rules at Check-In

General race coordinator discussions.
red2cwm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: List of Unenforceable Rules at Check-In

Post by red2cwm »

One of the rules that I was specifically interested in was the "No non BSA axles" rule. Based on this post the axles are distinguishable by sight. Is this by the point or the head? If the axles are in holes instead of slots, can they be distinguished by the head only?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yes, I think you can tell by the head unless you use MaxV's beautiful new axles that have no casting marks. How anyone duplicated that nail so perfectly is beyond me.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

red2cwm wrote:One of the rules that I was specifically interested in was the "No non BSA axles" rule. Based on this post the axles are distinguishable by sight. Is this by the point or the head? If the axles are in holes instead of slots, can they be distinguished by the head only?
We don't use BSA kits, but I've heard of derbies using BSA kits requiring that the nail point remain visible. Those who drill axle holes or who fill/cover the slots must arrange for the nail point to remain visible (e.g., by drilling an "axle viewing hole" perpendicular to the axle hole).
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

red2cwm wrote:One of the rules that I was specifically interested in was the "No non BSA axles" rule. Based on this post the axles are distinguishable by sight. Is this by the point or the head? If the axles are in holes instead of slots, can they be distinguished by the head only?
Speedster wrote:Yes, I think you can tell by the head unless you use MaxV's beautiful new axles that have no casting marks. How anyone duplicated that nail so perfectly is beyond me.
Guys here is a photo of 4 axle heads 2 are BSA axels & 2 are MaxV's new axles
I'm shareing this photo with you so can use your own line of sight to judge the differeces.

Ok.. which axle heads are the BSA axels: And which are MaxV's.
If your line of sight is telling you that the darker headed axel heads are the BSA axels.
(You made a mistake because the lighter headed axels are BSA.

Sorry Randy... for non BSA events your axels are A OK.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

This is interesting. I have 2 BSA axles that do not match in shine and if my eyes are not deceiving me, the dome on the heads do not match up perfectly either. One is a bit flatter than the other. The 2 BSA axles actually look like your picture yet they are both BSA. They have never been used. If there is any difference at all it might be the tiny flat spot on the head of the MaxV axle. Your picture tends to show a dimple on the heads, even the BSA axles. Are the dimples actually there? I don't show any on my BSA axles. Since I push axles in with a drill press, steel to steel, I tend to get a little mark on the nail head anyway. I doubt that any inspector would question a MaxV axle. I think the axles in the picture that appear light may simply be dull like the one I'm holding in my hand. I'm going to guess this goes on the "List of Unenforceable Rules at Check-in".
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote:This is interesting. I have 2 BSA axles that do not match in shine and If there is any difference at all it might be the tiny flat spot on the head of the MaxV axle. Your picture tends to show a dimple on the heads, even the BSA axles. Are the dimples actually there? I don't show any on my BSA axles. Since I push axles in with a drill press, steel to steel, I tend to get a little mark on the nail head anyway. I doubt that any inspector would question a MaxV axle.
I thank you nailed it...
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'd like to comment on #11 in the original post because of a personal experience. A gentleman, who has become a good friend of mine, helped his son win our District race 4 out of 5 years. His last year they took 3rd place. My track was one of 3 being used at District at that time and I was starting the cars. His car always looked the same. I tried to make a joke of it when I asked him if he was running the same car every year. He invited me to his house. In his basement were 15 cars and they all looked the same. He told me they had made 3 cars each year, would test them, and of course pick the fastest one. I've been working with the Derby for 27 years. As an inspector this has taught me to be very careful before I accuse someone of cheating.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: I've been working with the Derby for 27 years. As an inspector this has taught me to be very careful before I accuse someone of cheating.
Speedster, Thank you! You are a true gentleman and one very good inspector.

I'm just someone who holds workshops for the kids in my area of Okla, Ks, and Tx.
Who want's to learn all I can about this event and it's rules so that I share it with them.
Been doing this for 6 years now.

Mark.