PWD Committee ??'s

General race coordinator discussions.
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

PWD Committee ??'s

Post by Stephen's Dad »

Here we go. Another year of Scouting begins here this week.

After Stephen won our Council-wide PWD last year & I had to be the one to notice our packs rules were not current with the Disctrict or Council standard so.......you guessed it. I'm the Pack's new PWD Committee Person.

We plan to introduce the new & returning Scouts to PWD a little earlier this year. All we plan to show is our Pack's old trach, the Council Champion car, & a few partially built cars & simple hand tools. We have one card table on which to display some "tools of the trade" (nothing sharp).

I thought about bringing a laptop with Stan's Powerpoint, but decided it's a little much. Though maybe just the few slides regarding layout lines wouldn't be bad if Stan says it's OK?

Any quick pointers or warnings are appreciated.

Thank's in advance,

Steve
davekelly
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: PWD Committee ??'s

Post by davekelly »

It might be useful to show what is not allowed under the rules. Depending on your rules this could include wheels from other manufacturers, lathed wheels etc. It could also include axles, lubes etc. Of course for comparison you can show what is allowed. This would give the newcomers (and some oldtimers I'm sure) a visual which sometimes is easier to understand than some written rule.

Good luck!
There is nothing more cool than four hands on a block of wood being cut by a scroll saw!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I have a series of over-sized blocks that show the step-by-step process of building a derby car. I made them from a cheap 2x4 cut into identical blocks. I also have a pair of oversized design templates, one blank and one with the design used for the blocks. This is very helpful.

It should be possible to "just build the car" and have it meet the rules. If there are any rules that people who "just build the car" might violate accidentally, then be sure to emphasize them.

They'll forget anything that's too technical, so detailed rules, instructions, and tips should be in a print handout. Those who care can read them, and you can simply emphasize that anyone who is going beyond "just building the car" should pay particular attention to what's written in the handouts. Encourage everyone to ask questions early if they have any doubt.

If you have a design competition, then it's a good idea to display a few old cars with interesting designs. Be careful about displaying cars built by adults, though. Don't display designs that are beyond the capabilities of a motivated kid with modest adult support.

And be sure to emphasize any changes in the rules or awards from the previous year. Kids who don't study the written material will get an unpleasant surprise when they assume that this year's derby is going to be just like last year's derby.
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

We are in our first year of pinewood derby and I am convinced that no matter how hard we try to convey car building techniques and emphasize the rules that parents and Scouts do not pay attention intil they actually build the cars.

I certainly am discovering that the workshops are the best places to teach the rules and go fast tips. Parents and Scouts seem very receptive when they build the cars.

One of the problems that I see is that not everyone attends the workshops. So communication of the race and rules details is limited to those that attend. The remainder have to take the rules verbatim. We will see how this all works in March!
Last edited by Jthompson on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

As a first time chairman, I can only ditto everything Darin posted. Hand out rules and technical info. Workshops work well, parents attendance is an asset. An op to clearly demonstrate what is allowed and not. Get as much help as available!
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

Wow, I'd nearly forgotten about this thread.

After 15 months this post receives some timely new attention. Hopefully some hindsight will prove useful to those who read it now.

On a personal note, I have now graduated to CubMaster & am currently "working my tickets" as a Woodbadge trained Leader (NE-II-143...."and a good old Eagle too!)

We did hold that build workshop as intended. I constructed a "6 car story board" display (with help from Derby Talkers!) that starts with a plain block of wood as kit provided. Each successive "block" was in it's next step & was at last a finished car. All are mounted to dowels on a simple unfinished pine board. We still have & use it.

This display item is located on a table at the workshop sign-in area then moves along to the "design work station". Council-wide Rules, History of the PWD, a Build & Speed-Tips flyer & a list of websites (including Derby Talk) were handed out.

Cubs, adult partners & some siblings moved from station to station taking 10 minutes at each one.

The stations were:

1.) Make or choose a template & transfer design to car body (scrap pine)
2.) Cut some pattern with a hand coping saw (not the actual car- more scrap)
3.) Hand rasp, file, shape & sand (more scrap lumber)
4.) Weighting body options, choosing & detailing wheels
5.) Polish axel & mount wheel (leaving gap) without damage to hub
6.) Pastel paint (soap & water cleanup) a piece of wood (mostly discussion with adult partner), sticker discussion, etc.

About 40 attendees were broken into groups of 6 or 7 & each started at a different station. After 10 minutes each group rotated to the next station.

Each station was manned by a tenured leader who has derbied many times.

Last year our Pinewood Committee decided to not work on any actual cars in the workshops but rather focus only on the skill sets needed for the Boys to work on their cars at home.

This year it was decided that we would offer a real hands on build session for those who wish to attend. We are supposed to be using a local cabinet makers shop (not yet confirmed) where actual block cutting may take place. After 2 weekends, most of the work should be completed but some home finishing is still expected.

Most of last year's attendees saw value in the skills training & the cars showed it.

If the 2006 workshops come off as planned I will try to update this thread again with the results.

As for getting everyone the rules: Our Pack is highly computer & email literate. There are only 2 parents who don't check or get emails. I know this since I email them with return receipts required so that I know who is opening their messages & who isn't. I am more than willing to call or visit those I think need attention or request help. Rules & a brief overview are handed out with the cars. Then the rules are emailed around again.

PWDs are just like anything else. If Pack Leadership provides good communication then 99% of the potential problems can be avoided. At several times during the year (relaxed outings mostly), I ask the parents to fill out a quick 4-6 question survey to see how us Leaders are doing.

Feedback is a precious gift. Seek it.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Stephen's Dad wrote:On a personal note, I have now graduated to CubMaster & am currently "working my tickets" as a Woodbadge trained Leader (NE-II-143...."and a good old Eagle too!)
Congrats on taking the plunge. Remember that when you finish that ticket, you can write another, and another, and another, ... until you are older than I am! :)

I usta be a Antelope (EC-CS-19-90) and I usta be a Beaver (C-S-29-94). Still am, I guess, but I just "wrote my ticket" for 2005 a few days ago! :)
(If the course designations don't make sense to you, the Cub Scout Trainer WB course was held in 1990 and was the 19th held in East Central region. Course numbering for Boy Scout Leader WB restarted the course numbering frequently ... I never did figure out their scheme! Mox-Nix, since they have both been rolled into WB and TDC, now.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"