Need rules for for District race

General race coordinator discussions.
wardrocks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Need rules for for District race

Post by wardrocks »

I am glad to see many voices against limiting axle placement to the original slots. My pack has such a restriction in order to "make the race more fair to all the boys." I have a hard time believing that this will result in any leveling of the playing field. The competitors who have enough motivation to cut their own slots or drill their own holes are also going to take the time to make their car better in other ways and are going to win regardless of where the axles are. To top it all off, our District does allow an extended wheel base so for the past three years we have constructed a new car for that event, when we would have preferred to take our Pack car. Hopefully next year I will be able to persuade the Pack leaders to adopt the District rules.
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Need rules for for District race

Post by Jungle Jim »

wardrocks wrote:I am glad to see many voices against limiting axle placement to the original slots. My pack has such a restriction in order to "make the race more fair to all the boys." I have a hard time believing that this will result in any leveling of the playing field. The competitors who have enough motivation to cut their own slots or drill their own holes are also going to take the time to make their car better in other ways and are going to win regardless of where the axles are. To top it all off, our District does allow an extended wheel base so for the past three years we have constructed a new car for that event, when we would have preferred to take our Pack car. Hopefully next year I will be able to persuade the Pack leaders to adopt the District rules.
Hopefully someone on the Council level (based on your scouts racing this high) will institute rules that everyone in your council has to follow. We did this quite a few years ago and it helped alot when the boys moved up to the next level.

Good Luck
Jungle Jim