Team/Den racing

General race coordinator discussions.
kmefford
Apprentice
Apprentice

Team/Den racing

Post by kmefford »

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it, so thought I'd post a new topic.

To help encourage sharing of winning tips and construction, we've decided to have a den trophy in addition to all of our normal speed/design awards. We'll probably give a traveling trophy to the den and ribbons to each boy in the den.

At the last committee meeting, we decided it shouldn't be based solely on speed, so we devised this list:
  • Speed (fastest overall times by den)
    Participation (% of den racing)
    Spirit (den yells, decorations, other creative ideas on race day).
Does anyone else offer den-based awards? and if so, what has worked for you in the past? Any general thoughts on this idea would also be greatly appreciated.
davekelly
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Team/Den racing

Post by davekelly »

That sounds like a fantastic idea! That way every boy can contribute to the team. We don't do this at our PWD, but every Pack Meeting we have a "Cubby" award which is given to the den that best lives up to what a scout is (good cheer, song, skit, uniforms, behavior etc). It is a paper machie cub scout (made years ago) that we fill with candy. The winning den gets to snack for the next month of den meetings. It is very very popular and does foster den spirit.
There is nothing more cool than four hands on a block of wood being cut by a scroll saw!
davekelly
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davekelly »

Also it is a great idea to include participation and spirit into the calculation. There's no way one can get that on ebay!!!
There is nothing more cool than four hands on a block of wood being cut by a scroll saw!
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Building team spirit is always a great idea. One other similar idea is having team awards at district races to encourage pack participation. At our district we have both speed and design competitions which could be both factored into total pack points. I think some healthy and fun competitions between packs could be generated which could also drive the sharing of technology within the individual packs.