Pine Head

Cheap source for Race pennants

Post by Sylvar »

rich b
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cheap source for Race pennants

Post by rich b »

Great find, thanks!! Just ordered some pennant and the small flags to give out to each racer.

Also check out www.racechex.com, the prices aren't as good as oriental trading co on those specific items but racechex has hundreds (thousands?) of various items with the black/white race check design, I ordered bandanas last year to give to every race volunteer to wear as a bandand and I ordered the tall race checkered top hat for me to wear.
ameliabedelia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ameliabedelia »

If you're looking for decorations (not give-aways to the racers), go to your local oil change/brake/muffler/car dealerships around town and ask them to donate banners or posters. I did this last year, and in one day got enough to decorate a large church gymnasium.
Sylvar
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sylvar »

I have tried that...no luck so far. None of the folks in our area are using race related advertising. No card board cutouts or posters. Well, let me rephrase...None that I would use at a cub scout event. Beer ads and half naked women don't make good decorations for the derby.

Can ask what places you went to? Maybe I just haven't been to the right place.
ameliabedelia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ameliabedelia »

I didn't ask for racing themed banners. I asked for anything related to brakes, oil changes, mufflers, etc.--anything to do with cars. I got 4-5 large banners relating to brakes, mufflers & oil changes. They all had brand names on them, which was OK. Along with the other racing themed stuff that we already had, it made the gym look really cool.

One sign/banner that I got was red with white lettering that said "Oil change $9.99 today only." That one is my favorite. It doesn't have a brand or company name on it at all.

I was given a whole box of racing/oil change pennant strings. They alternate the black & white checkered flags with the oil brand logo.

I went to places like Firestone, Jiffy Lube oil change, Valvoline oil change, ProCare, Tire Discounters, etc.... I went anywhere that did work on cars.

I told them about my club and the pinewood derby-style race we were having, and asked if they had any old banners or posters that they weren't using anymore.

I have enough now that I don't need to go out again this year, but I was at Meijer (grocery store) the other day and saw pennant strings with Pepsi & Nascar on them. I asked about them, and was told the Pepsi guy was the one who I'd need to contact. They took my name down & said they'd ask him. I haven't heard anything yet, so I'll have to check again.
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

Thanks Sylvar and Rich B. I just ordered checkered items from both your sources! Great leads.
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

Just found a cheaper and fantasitc source for racing pennants....Valvoline. I emailed them and they sent a packets with a large banner and two 25-30 foot racing pennant ropes. They look better than what I purchased. I can email a digital picture if you want.