Doing alignment at the workshop

How to have useful construction workshops.
Sylvar
Pine Head
Pine Head

Doing alignment at the workshop

Post by Sylvar »

How much do you guys go into alignment at your workshops? I just finished the last of our 3 workshops and we had a major traffic jam at alignment.
It basically came down to me doing the alignment on all the cars. I was using the paper shim method, and no one really caught on to how it was done. To complicate matters some boys got a little overanxious at the axle hole drilling station. This led to seriously oversized axle holes.....which required alot more shims just to hold the axles in.
I am trying to find a way to make this easier for next year. Any Ideas?

Sylvar
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Doing alignment at the workshop

Post by terryep »

If the cub/parent team really wants to win this is where he can earn it. I'd offer advice and instruction but that's about it.
Terry
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Sylvar wrote:How much do you guys go into alignment at your workshops?
We cut the head off a spare axle and chuck it in a drill press, so the kids can press straight axle holes before they cut their blocks. That's it. If they want to do more, then they need to do it on their own.

Don't try to do everything at the workshops. Focus on the basics, especially the steps that require equipment that not everyone will have (e.g., power tools, spray paint booths). It's okay for the kids to have "homework" away from the workshops.
Sylvar
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sylvar »

My main impetus for holding workshops this year was to make sure all the cars could get down the track. We had several last year that did not finish, including one that couldn't even make it to the flat. I can't take seeing that kind of heartbreak again.

One thing we are also doing this year to avoid that is holding qualifying runs as part of check-in. One run down the practise track. That way they know up front if they have problems.

Sylvar
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Sylvar wrote:My main impetus for holding workshops this year was to make sure all the cars could get down the track. We had several last year that did not finish, including one that couldn't even make it to the flat. I can't take seeing that kind of heartbreak again.
Ouch. It's been a while since we've had a car not cross the finish line. The big change was when we started making drill presses available at our workshops. But we also make sure there are a couple tables with graphite on registration night, and a section of the old track to test the cars for fit (which we kept for just that purpose). The folks working the registration table ask everyone if they've lubricated their wheels, and they do a quick spin test on all four wheels (just enough to catch really bad wheels).
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Some excellent ideas expressed in this thread!

Darin: Pressing the spare axle assures that they are close enough that alignment won't keep 'em from getting to the finish line.

Silvar: Test run during checkin.

Darin: Lube check and spin check during checkin.

Terry: They should earn that impeccable alignment!

Good work, guys!

Silvar, I don't think you will have any big disappointments this year, unless some clown brings in a $100 EBay car and it gets whipped by a green Tiger's creation! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
clemsontigerfanatic
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by clemsontigerfanatic »

Slyvar,

I feel I agree with guys also on alignment.
I've done enough after bringing a drill press and showing them the kitchen table wax paper shim method. Just say it is very important.

I think some things are best done at home. Paint glue, aligement, weighting.

I had a dad rushing to get done - wanting to get home. Better to send home with some homework than stopping the show for him.

I think the main purpose is access to special tools( Drill Press, Scroll saw
Power sander maybe) , showing order of steps, and all the steps needed to make a fast car
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

Last year we tried to do everything at the workshop and ran into the problem of bottlenecks developing as well. Our approach at this year's workshop was to provide access to tools, advice, and help as needed or requested. Only once or twice did anyone ask about alignment at all. On the back of the rules handed out with the kits we had a sheet listing steps in building your car - alignment was discussed as a very important step and we even referred them to Stan's website for more information.

I found this approach to be a much better one. Those who want to learn more and experiment can, those who just want a car to race will get what they want as well!
We are Ambassadors for Christ
Need for Speed
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Need for Speed »

I explained to them how to do the alignment. Then offered them a chance for us to work together to fine tune the car. Then test run the car on the track. Some do come back for testing.
Thanks !!!
Nimrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nimrod »

The first two cars I built with my son, we went to machine shops and asked if they could drill the axle holes for us. Thanks God that the shops were kind enough not to charge. So if a father really wants to get his sons axles drilled it can be done without owning a drill press. BTW I made the investment in a Delta drill press for the last race with my wifes permission of course.

Steve
nerangers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by nerangers »

Our goal is to make sure the kids cars will make it down the track and win some races hopefully.

We offer a day at one of the Commanders woodshops. We have a parent come out with the child and work on the cars. We have the official scale there so they can weigh the cars too to get it close before painting and all.

The week before the race, we do derby registration. As part of that day, we setup work benches, and the track. All adjustments, weighting, etc can be done their. We make sure the tires spin and they have graphite. We do not do alignments per say, but by running them on the tracks, parents and the kids can adjust their cars. We impound the cars after that till the race the following week.

By having these two events before the race, we get some good quality work on the cars, and have a lot of close races.

I think our car kids are different from what you are describing here. Our axles are screws. There is a trick to glueing the wood axl correctly, and getting those screws just right. If someone comes up with a good alignment tool I would love to have one! :D

Here is a link to see what our kits look like:

Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

Our last workshop in our Pinewood derby will focus only on alignment. I am new to this, can anyone help me with best methods to teach alignment.

What surfaces are best? How long should they be?

What can a Scout understand? This is critical since I want to communicate the techniques directly to the Scouts and their parents.

What types of shim material? I have seen anything from wax paper to small pieces of shim stock.

Thanks
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Whistler »

As indicated by other posters I can not recommend the "shim" method for achieving alignment at a workshop. It is far too delicate, and frustrating, for most cub scout aged kids to attempt, not to mention taking quite a bit of time per car. Also it does not need any special tools (beyond tweezers, scissors, level, and wax paper), so a demo, witht he teams each doing the work at home is practical.

However if you must do an alignment workshop the "bent axle" method might work for a workshop environment. It will not produce the theoretical "perfect" alignment, but is certainly easier and well within a cub scout's capabilities. Basically a very minor bend is put into the dominant front axle(where it exits the car) using either a smooth jawed vise or the ProAxle tool and something to press against the axle head. This can then be rotated with a needle nose pliers to steer the car.
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

We did not have much success with alignment at workshops this year. I think we need to improve the process so Scouts and parents have a better understanding.

We were able to teach a few people the shim method. For those who mastered it, the method worked.

I would say, however, that we need to strenghten this area of education for next year. Painting and alignment caused the most trouble.
Pack11SanDiego
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pack11SanDiego »

Whistler wrote:...the "bent axle" method might work for a workshop environment...
That's all we do; not many of our scouts are really that into intricate technical details.

We set the car on a flat surface centered on a straight line, give it a gentle push, note which way it veers, and tweak the dominant front wheel by hand for a re-test.

Works well for us.