Planning this years workshops

How to have useful construction workshops.
Sylvar
Pine Head
Pine Head

Planning this years workshops

Post by Sylvar »

Well, Its that time of year again. Time to get my shop cub proofed and ready for derby workshops! Last year was pretty successful. I hosted cubs from 3 different packs. Total out come last year: 6 first in den. 4 second in den. 3 first in pack (and my son wasn't one of those). 2 second in pack. First and Second in the district (from different packs). As well as a first place design award in the pack and in the district...We aren't all about speed! Anyway, the word is out. We had a decent turnout last year and I expect a larger turnout for the workshops this year. Last year was my first shot a doing workshops and I learned a lot, but I am hoping that some of you vets have some advice. I am concidering making them schedule a slot his year. Is that a good idea?

Last year I left it wide open. 9 am til the last boy leaves. I even made some boys comeback the next day. The fellow (a bear) who won the design awards wanted to build a 36 ford coupe..he had a hot wheels car to model from. I gave him advice on how to set it up and cut it out and helped him with the more complex cuts. We glued it up and I told him what to sand. I told him that when he got all the sanding done he could come back ...LOL. His mom called that night and said he had it ready. I just can't say no to a hard working scout.

I am handing out a worksheet on alignment this year. That was a real bottle neck last year. Other than that I feel like everything went pretty well. Any thoughts on how to manage larger groups? I did the safey walk through for each boy as they showed up last year. Would be nice to do that all at once, but will people actually show up on time?

Shane