Parent involvement

How to have useful construction workshops.
Jthompson

Parent involvement

Post by Jthompson »

We have a relatively new pack and are new to Pinewood derby this year. I have had a very small committee setting up our first derby, which is now 8 weeks away.

Our pack is small (34 boys) and the leadership has been provided by a few parents. The derby is our first large scale event. I would like to use it to develop more interaction between parents in the Pack.

I would like any suggestions that others have had using the derby to foster more parent interaction.
nosam116
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Parent involvement

Post by nosam116 »

At your next group setting, simply ask or as you have a parent or two parents together, simply say "hey, can you two help me out with..."; you'll be amazed how it goes. People are willing to help, it just takes a little more to get them to help.
Good luck.
Each day is a good race day!
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Parent involvement

Post by Stephen's Dad »

This subject seems a little less like Pinewood & more like Scouter.com but if I can help I'd like to toss my $.02 in here.

I am our Packs CubMaster. Every fall when we "sign back up" every Parent/Akela is handed a Parent Participation for. Every family has to commit to at least 2 committee positions. There are limitations as to how many people are needed for a given event.

I've noticed that Pinewood & Blue & Gold fill up pretty quickly & we end up turning folks away from these towards the end of sign-up season. Camping & Sleepover events seem to always attract the same people so we make an effort to pair multi committeeperson events up in ways that no two families work together on the same project one year after the other.

There are always the inevtiable opt-out families (single parent, etc) but in general we have very good participation. This makes it easier to cultivate new Leaders & also insures our program stays fresh.

Given the new status of your Pack, I'd think that using Pinewood this way would be effective. Look for positions in snakck, refreshments, cups/plates/paper, sign-in table, weigh-in station, etc. They will come!