My Workshop and Stations (pictures)

How to have useful construction workshops.
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

My Workshop and Stations (pictures)

Post by mokanmikey »

Saftey First, eye ware for all!

First Station, Design.

Second, Third and Fourth Stations

Second Station, Drill the axel holes while the block is still square. (Note - 90 degree jig made up for quick and accurate boring.)

Third Station, Route out bottom of the car to accept flat weights. (Note - Jig made up and stops set takes 30 - 60 seconds to cut out.)

Fourth Station, Cut out shape with table top band saw, scroll saw if needed.

Fifth Station, Sanding, Shaping, Complete Body.
(Notes - Belt sander clamped to table to use the roller end for curves, Jig made for another belt sander for flat sanding, Dremel with small router bit, Dremel with small drum sander, B-D mouse sander, clamps for safe handeling, far table, coping saws, sand paper, rasp, file etc...)

Sixth Station, Axles.
(Notes - Small station on sturdy base so no shaking of the tables. Two set-ups as this station takes a while.)

Seventh Station, Wheels.
(Note - Two stations setup, this takes allmost as much time as the axles.)

Tables are set up task specific with 2 chairs at each tool for both parent and son. We want the parent/child working closely together to minimize any risk of injury and building the bond this creates.
Power saws and routers are run by me or a trusted/trained parent with the exception of the band saw which can be operated by Webelos under strict supervision and instruction.

Anothe view,

Hope this helps you out in the planning of your workshop!
Mike :D
Last edited by mokanmikey on Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Can we go camping yet?
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: My Workshop and Stations (pictures)

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Simply awesome!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'll call all of our boys and we'll be there later today! :lol:
NOTE: It will be a long frive from Alabama so we'll be a little late... oh and the 30 or so boys will be plenty hungry by than! :lol:

Nothing like some pictures to help those that need workshop set-up ideas. I'd say you guys have a great set-up. Wish I had all the room you do.

Da Graphite Kid
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

I would LOVE to have that type of work area! Thats enough to make any pine head drool. Do you mind posting a how-to on your gig set-ups?
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

Excellent, well organized and thought out area -- thanks for sharing. Approx. how many boys/parents do you have in one workshop session?
TDean
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mokanmikey »

ranman106 wrote:I would LOVE to have that type of work area! Thats enough to make any pine head drool. Do you mind posting a how-to on your gig set-ups?
I'll make a new post for those!
Can we go camping yet?
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mokanmikey »

TDean wrote:Excellent, well organized and thought out area -- thanks for sharing. Approx. how many boys/parents do you have in one workshop session?
I ran about 18 boys through from 10-4. All boys are required to bring an adult. I like to make it quite a few hours long to hopefully stagger the amount of people at any given time. Could have done more but we had a workshop at another leaders house last weekend. If I were to have a lot more boys, I would see about setting up blocks of time and have a sign up sheet at the pack meeting for better scheduling control.

The only thing I would do different is to have more axle stations set up. This takes a long time especially when the parents/kid don't know what there doing even after been shown exactly what to do. When there was a backup we pulled the wheel mandrels out and used those drills to speed the process, but still, it wasn't as efficient as I would like.
Can we go camping yet?
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

Outstanding workshop organization! What I would like to know is how long on average it takes you at each station. We are in our first year, and I have had bottlenecks at some of the stations. I ran three formal 10-4 Saturday workshops:

1) Design, rough cut, axle drilling, weight pockets and weight addtion
2) Body finishing, axle prep, and wheel prep
3) Alignment and final weight check/correction

We found that most people needed help with the basics in workshops 1 & 2, so I ran Wed evening 2 hour clinics to help those who could not make our 10-4 Saturday workshops. I had a lot of bottlenecks last Wed.
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mokanmikey »

Bottlenecks are unavoidable :( The longest station will always be the axle prep. I would have as many drills set up for this as possible and then borrow some more and set those up too.

I don't set up an alignment station, with the block drilled it should be pretty close when they install the wheels and axles after painting. (I provide the tools to shape, sand and work on the axles, they must take the car home for painting and assembly.)
I do have a scale to get all the components weighed so they can put the car together and know it will weigh within a gram or two of the weigh in scale.
Can we go camping yet?
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mokanmikey »

Fixed all photos
:D
Can we go camping yet?
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Bubba sez:

Your setup is ssswwweeeeeettt!

Thanks for the pics. I will have to print them out and look them over some more.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
festiva91
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by festiva91 »

I can't think of a better use of a nice two-car garage! :P :)
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

That is a nice set-up! 8)

If you were a little closer to East Texas I would have to ask to borrow you and the workshop! :D

Thanks for the pics.
BigDozer66
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mokanmikey »

Pics updated due to loss of hosting site :roll:
Can we go camping yet?
chesspupil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by chesspupil »

I would think a belt sander would be a too big a pinch hazzard to risk. Also, with even say a 120 grit belt sander, the amount of bite from the sander would be a touchy situation for soft pine.