Success!!

How to have useful construction workshops.
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Success!!

Post by Gameday »

Wow, what a great day. My son and I hosted a construction workshop this past weekend and it turned out great.

First, the workshop was motivation for me and both of my boys to build a new workshop in our basement. We built it in a 14' by 13' room and used the cabinets that were recently taken from our kitchen when it was remodeled. We installed them and built a custom counter. The boys (8 year and 4 year old) helped with almost every step and did nearly all the drilling and screwing for the new counter top. That by itself was a great project.

But on to the actual construction workshop. I agonized over the agenda for several weeks and finally decided to focus on explaining the basic steps and processes, design concepts, and axle and wheel prep.

We started out by showing a slide show of really cool pics I've collected over the last year (from the pic gallery as well as other sources). I ran it off my laptop and projected it on the big-screen TV. As we looked at the cars we talked about pros and cons including aerodynamics, speed potential, and construction difficulty. This really got the little guys (and dads!) fired up.

I then went over some very basic charts I made that I hung along a large wall. The first chart showed the basic sequence within the construction process and then I had a few more charts that showed the basic steps of: 1) design, axle location and weight location, 2) axle prep, 3) wheel prep, and 4) lubrication. We went through the charts fast so that the kids didn't get bored, but I could tell the dads were soaking them up.

Next, I talked about the importance of using the full 5 ounces of weight, talked with them about how to achieve a really high quality paint finish (discussed in the forums here), and then I gave them a quick demo of a car with axles and wheels taken right out of the box compared to a car with finished axles and wheels. They really enjoyed that part and I could see the light bulbs going off.

We then went into the workshop and I quickly trained the dads on wheel and axle prep and each one of them manned a station. I had two axle filing/sanding/polishing stations with each one equpped with a dremel tool mounted in a vise, and the full range of pre-cut sandpaper ranging all the way up to 4,000 grit, and some mothers mag polish. Each scount was able to prep their axles on their own with just a little help from the big guys. I had a pro axle press for them to use and they loved going through those steps - especially the head tapering.

We also had a wheel shaving station and a wheel polishing station setup. The dads mainly did the shaving but most of the kids gave it a try as well. The kids all did the wet/dry wheel sanding and the bore polishing.

Within two hours the entire den had a full set of excllent wheels and axles. The dads were just as fired up as the kids and everyone was clearly excited.

I wrapped the day up by giving them a construction guide I pulled together as well as some really cool screwdrivers with exchangable bits that I got my employer to donate. The screwdrivers were given to them to recognize their new skills, and so that they can now start collecting their own toolsets.

On the way out all the kids and dads were talking about how this was their best den meeting ever.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Success!!

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Excellent job, Gameday!

Got any pics of your workshop setup? Sounds like you made great use of the previous kitchen cabinets and countertop (and I would imagine the head chef is happy with her new kitchen, too?).

Shoot me a PM, I am trying to find a place to stash workshop materials (PowerPoints, pics, etc.) for public consumption. In the meantime I would appreciate looking at anything you have, sounds like a lot of good work.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Go Bubba Go wrote:Shoot me a PM, I am trying to find a place to stash workshop materials (PowerPoints, pics, etc.) for public consumption.
How about GrandPrix Race Central? There is a section of the site dedicated to downloadable documents, graphics, etc. Material on workshops would be a great addition.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Randy:

I attempted to add a download to http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... =Downloads of a PowerPoint presentation I have for workshops geared at adults who will be helping youngsters with their cars. Note that it is a "work in progress", there are a couple of gaps yet.

I am assuming there is a lag for your approval of the document before the new download will appear. Shoot me a PM if you don't find my doc awaiting your approval for posting at GrandPrix Race Central.

p.s. When linking to another site, how do you change the text that appears in a posting (ex. how did you get GrandPrix Race Central to appear in your post above instead of http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... =Downloads). I still haven't mastered my secret decoder ring yet.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

For that link to work, you would code it like this.

[url=http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... =Downloads]GrandPrix Race Central[/url]

instead of

[url]http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... =Downloads[/url]
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

Go Bubba Go wrote:
Got any pics of your workshop setup? <snip>

Shoot me a PM, I am trying to find a place to stash workshop materials (PowerPoints, pics, etc.) for public consumption. In the meantime I would appreciate looking at anything you have, sounds like a lot of good work.
I'll see what I can do about taking some pics and digitizing some of the handouts I distributed.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

Thanks for sharing the resources everyone. :clap:

BigDozer66
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director