First workshop - rewarding experience

How to have useful construction workshops.
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

First workshop - rewarding experience

Post by Randy and Son »

At last years Derby race, my son was the Pack winner and on the ride home after the race he told me he wanted to help other kids go fast next year and that he would focus on a car that might win Best of Show at the 2009 race. As a result we hosted a workshop for our Pack this year in my garage. Yes, in January, in Nebraska. This was the first PWD workshop our Pack has ever had. Attendance was about one-third of of the boys (10 out 33). Mostly Tigers and Wolves attended.

Those that attended were very appreciative of the access to tools and the advice that was given. Some had faulty notions of how to attain speed and it gave me a chance to demo things for them to show them why there assumptions might be false.

Most of them had no clue about the need for axle and wheel prep. And once they learned about this, it seems that both child and adult had some new found energy for car building. They realized now they didn't have to leave things just to chance.

One Mom showed up with a boy needing help because Dad wanted no part of the project. After locating a piece of dowel in the basement, that young man left with the spiffy new Army Tank that he had requested.

This year's race will be interesting to watch to see how the workshop participants perform against the others. And then to see how attendance changes at next year's workshop if the attendees perform well.

Although my cub said last year that he wanted a showy car for 2009, that all went out the window and his competitive side came out when he saw others trying for speed. After the workshop, basically he said, "Let's get 'em".

Randy