Polishing the Bores of Wheels

How to have useful construction workshops.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Polishing the Bores of Wheels

Post by AlabamaDan »

So I'm reading about polising the bores of wheels. I understand the concept and was looking at the The Pro-Bore Polisher at http://pinewoodpro.com. That looks like a pipe cleaner shoved into a drill. I can do that.

The special bore polish, could I just use a little diluted toothpaste like I'm doing for the outside of the wheel tread?

Then, I could simply use another pipe cleaner to make sure it's all dry and a third to apply some graphite in there.

Thoughts please?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Polishing the Bores of Wheels

Post by gpraceman »

I don't know about toothpaste. There are polishes that are specifically for plastics. You do have to make sure that whatever you use will not cause a problem with the wheel plastic.

As for pipe cleaners. Use the ones that are actually intended for cleaning smoking pipes. You can get these from tobacco and pipe shops. The ones you find in craft stores just don't have enough material to them, so you could be scratching up the bore with the metal wire in the center of the pipe cleaner.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

There has been a few people talk about using a certain type of tooth past in polishing the wheel bores.I forget what brand it is (maybe pearl white) but it has a very low micron and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt...But I'm not sure what the ratio would be for diluting it
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

I believe the brand name they mention is called "Pearl Drops". I did a search on it and found it to be in a number of threads here at Derby Talk.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
shawnr5
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by shawnr5 »

When you buy the pipe cleaners at a smoke shop, make sure you don't get the ones with the wire bristles mixed in with the fiber bristles. I'm pretty sure that they would destroy your bore in seconds.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

shawnr5 wrote:When you buy the pipe cleaners at a smoke shop, make sure you don't get the ones with the wire bristles mixed in with the fiber bristles. I'm pretty sure that they would destroy your bore in seconds.
This is so true shawnr5..................I believe 12 mm and 14 mm soft cleaners are the size you want to have