Ethics Question

How to have useful construction workshops.
teachable
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Ethics Question

Post by teachable »

Great ethical question! Because of the different levels of motivation and availability of parents to make it to the workshops, perhaps offer a couple of different workshops. One on the basics - intended for kids to make cars that will run down the track. Then offer an advanced class. Intended for people who want to take it to the next level. May I also state that I really love the idea that many employ -- An open class where dads can work out their own pride issues. But reserve the pack races for cars built by kids. This helps to foster another aspect of PWD -- envolving the family.
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by derbyspeed »

Stan Pope wrote:
Hit the basics, support them in implementing their concepts, allow them to test their results, i.e. a track and a reference car. (You might want to make a "no racing" rule)

It's okay if they dig about and discover / learn more than you intended to teach.
This is exactly what we are doing this year. In the past we didn't even have rules handed out only what was in the box. Some parents came and found out the day of the race that their wheels didn't pass inspection among other things.

We are holding a time trials this year and will have a drone/pace car for them to run against. I am unsure of this but we will also let them write down their time. They will have one day to fix anything and see if they can make it faster if desired. I don't think it will be a big problem, if it is we won't do it next year.

But once again our main motivation was much like what was stated in the first message - I didn't want to see any cars not make it down the track.

We did do a seminar this year and I think it's only fair especially for new scouts coming into the pack, but it was only a slide show with information on rules, tips & tricks. But this was way over the top from what was happening in previous years.

We may venture into a workshop next year, but I feel not having a workshop can also (for lack of a better word) force the Dad's to help their sons. I think the workshop should possibly be for the single mom's or a Dad that is out of the picture.

The seminar should be adequate to help level the playing field, although I wouldn't turn down anyone who asked for more help.

By the way this year we are also handing out "Turtle" trophies. This won't be announced until the day of the race so scouts won't build their cars specifically to go slow. We thought this would keep those scouts interested that might be out of the running early.

Turtle trophies will go to the 4 slowest cars, we are calling them "Under the Speed Limit" awards. Not trying to coddle the kids, just trying to keep things interesting. Got this idea from last year at the council races when two cars racing each other couldn't make it down the track. (don't know how they made it to the Council races?!) But the crowd cheered more for those two cars than they did for the winners! It was actually quite fun!
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

derbyspeed wrote:We are holding a time trials this year and will have a drone/pace car for them to run against. I am unsure of this but we will also let them write down their time. They will have one day to fix anything and see if they can make it faster if desired. I don't think it will be a big problem, if it is we won't do it next year.

But once again our main motivation was much like what was stated in the first message - I didn't want to see any cars not make it down the track.
This year during our Friday Night test and tune, I had my older boy discreetly write down the car names and times for the boys that were running while I was busy doing other things.

He would alert me (quietly) if a boy's car ran above a certain time (i.e. they were extra slow), and I would also review the list periodically for any others that seemed to be in need of some help. Between myself and another dad, we were able to catch most of the slow movers and help them resolve their major problems.

We did still have a couple slow movers on Saturday, but those boys didn't attend Friday night.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by derbyspeed »

Go Bubba Go wrote:
derbyspeed wrote:We are holding a time trials this year and will have a drone/pace car for them to run against. I am unsure of this but we will also let them write down their time. They will have one day to fix anything and see if they can make it faster if desired. I don't think it will be a big problem, if it is we won't do it next year.

This year during our Friday Night test and tune, I had my older boy discreetly write down the car names and times for the boys that were running while I was busy doing other things.

He would alert me (quietly) if a boy's car ran above a certain time (i.e. they were extra slow), and I would also review the list periodically for any others that seemed to be in need of some help. Between myself and another dad, we were able to catch most of the slow movers and help them resolve their major problems.

We did still have a couple slow movers on Saturday, but those boys didn't attend Friday night.

Bubba
Bubba,
A very nice way to handle that! We hope to be able to help those that do have problems on that night of the time trials or at least give them some ideas to take home and work on it there.

I am hoping the time trials won't take away too much mystery for race day but will keep those, who may of been slow, in the race
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"