Bose 3-2-1 GS System

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bose 3-2-1 GS System

Post by gpraceman »

I'll kick things off on this new forum.

Looking to replace my cheapo Sony surround sound speakers. I saw the Bose 3-2-1 GS Series II system at Circuit City and it seems to have good sound quality (at least to my uneducated ear) and I like that it doesn't have the rear speakers. Our TV room is very open to the back, so there isn't a place to put rear speakers. Even if there was, it would be a pain to run wires.

It comes with a DVD player, but we already have a Sony 5 disc player, so I'm not sure we would use that part of the system.

Sam's Club seems to be the cheapest source at $799.

I've read some reviews on it. People seem to love it or hate it. Anyone here have experience with it?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Bose 3-2-1 GS System

Post by TAL »

I know you have the choice of two colors...

You can choose between Silver or Graphite Grey...

Wonder which color you'll choose...

This might help...

http://products.howstuffworks.com/bose- ... review.htm

Also www.consumerreports.org state that the Onkyo HT-S790 is a really great system that does'nt include a DVD player...

It also says the Yamaha YHT-670 is a great system, but it includes a seperate DVD player...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TAL wrote:You can choose between Silver or Graphite Grey...

Wonder which color you'll choose...
Since all of our other components are black, I'd go for the graphite, given the option.
TAL wrote:Also www.consumerreports.org state that the Onkyo HT-S790 is a really great system that does'nt include a DVD player...

It also says the Yamaha YHT-670 is a great system, but it includes a seperate DVD player...
Both of those systems have 5 speakers plus the sub. The 3-2-1 system only has two plus the sub and does some signal processing to simulate surround sound. I can't easily run wires to rear speakers and really have no place to put them anyways because of the house layout.

I've seen a Yamaha and a Polk system that consist of one long unit which is really an array of speakers. Though, both of these units are way too long to fit in our media center.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

We have a 3-2-1, and do like it. But it isn't the same sound as you get from a 5 speaker surround system.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

MaxV wrote:We have a 3-2-1, and do like it. But it isn't the same sound as you get from a 5 speaker surround system.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just hoping for something better than what I have now and will work in our room without me having to tear into walls to run wiring. If I put in rear speakers, they would have to be ceiling mounted and one would stick into a hallway. I'm not an audiophile, so I don't need an awesome (and really expensive)

I see Sony has a couple of 2.1 systems out now. I may check those out. Maybe my buddy still working at Sony can get me a deal. Everything else of ours is Sony, which is not surprising having worked there for 10 years.
Randy Lisano

TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

gpraceman wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I'm just hoping for something better than what I have now and will work in our room without me having to tear into walls to run wiring.
I have seen the wiring run behind the base board and or chair railing...

You would only remove the base board or chair railing and router a groove tunnel on the backside of the base board or chair railing for that room and run your wires behind those if you find no other alternative...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TAL wrote:I have seen the wiring run behind the base board and or chair railing...

You would only remove the base board or chair railing and router a groove tunnel on the backside of the base board or chair railing for that room and run your wires behind those if you find no other alternative...
The problem is where to put the rear speakers. Our TV room has a long wall with a fireplace in the center, the media center built-in on one side and another built-in (bookcase and cabinet) on the other side with the back of the room open to the kitchen on the one end (bookcase and cabinet side) and a hallway on the other end (media center side). The hallway goes to a closet, bathroom, laundry room and foyer. There is no baseboard running all of the way around the TV room because of the hallway and kitchen access.

I'm not an audiophile, so a good two speaker with sub system would be just fine with me.

I have heard of some wireless speaker systems, but not good things. Still, rear speaker placement would be rather awkward.
Randy Lisano

TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

I saw a commercial (info type commercial) yesterday on the bose gs 321 system...

I did'nt write the number down , but they had a 800 number to call for a free trial home demostration for the gs 321 system...