Broken Drill Press :(

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Broken Drill Press :(

Post by gpraceman »

texasprd wrote:Have you measured chuck runout on that unit? I'm looking for a good, low-runout drill press and I'd like to see what you find on that Ryobi.
No, I haven't measured runout. I have a mill/drill for precision work, so I wasn't woried about that for something that will just be doing general drilling.

Though, I did read a review somewhere that this press did measure out well on runout. Though, with these low end priced drill presses, it might be hit and miss to get one with good runout.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Seems that the kids at our latest workshops didn't know their strength. That or the knobs on my relatively new 12" drill press are just cheap pieces of junk (probably the latter). I have 3 of them that broke off of the rods. The plastic just got real brittle.

Anyone know where I can find some good knobs to replace these with?
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Hobby Lobby (or other craft stores) usually have 2" wooden spheres....Drill/tap a hole into one of those guys maybe?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Hobby Lobby (or other craft stores) usually have 2" wooden spheres....Drill/tap a hole into one of those guys maybe?
I don't think anything wooden would hold up well.

Rockler sells various kinds of knobs for making jigs. Maybe one of them will work.
Randy Lisano