Broken Drill Press :(

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Broken Drill Press :(

Post by gpraceman »

Well, after several years of good use (and abuse), I finally managed to break my cheapo 10" Ryobi drill press. :cry:

The coil spring that returns the spindle back to the up position is what specifically broke. I managed to download a parts list for the drill press, since one wasn't included in the owners manual (unless I lost it). It is Ryobi part# 13104009 and they call it a "torsion spring".

I can order this ~$0.50 part over the Internet (and pay $8 shipping) and wait up to 3 weeks to get it. Does any know of where I might find a suitable coil spring locally? We have workshops coming up after the holidays and I'd like to have it replaced by then.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Broken Drill Press :(

Post by MaxV »

Randy,

Sounds like it's time to buy a new drill press. Then of course, fix your current one.

The only thing better than a drill press? Two of them!

(Actually, I plan to add a 3rd press in the spring.)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

MaxV wrote:Sounds like it's time to buy a new drill press. Then of course, fix your current one.

The only thing better than a drill press? Two of them!
The only thing is... I already have a second one. Over the summer I bought the Mini Mill from Harbor Freight. I haven't done any milling with it just yet, but it does a great job at accurately drilling holes due to the X-Y table.

It would be good to have both machines working, as it always seems that someone was waiting in line for the drill press at past workshops.

I have entertained the idea of getting a floor drill press, instead of the bench one, but alas... I have no floor space left in my workshop. Anyways, it is much easier to justify spending ~$10 to the missues than a few hundred. :wink:
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote:I can order this ~$0.50 part over the Internet (and pay $8 shipping) and wait up to 3 weeks to get it.
I can sympathize. Back in college, I needed a $0.25 part to repair my stereo. Their minimum order was $10, plus several dollars more for shipping.

But what's the alternative? Spending $10 in gas driving around looking for a "local" source?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Is the break in a location on the spring at which it can be repaired, probably by brazing? If so, perhaps you can get it done cheaply/quickly by contacting a local high school shop teacher, especially if you can "plead your public service case". (Those critters still exist, don't they?)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

What is the model number of the press? I tried to find a picture of the part on the Internet based on just the part number and had no luck.

If it is a standard coil type spring I would pursue Stan's thought on repair. The coil is probably near the "end of life" and the next break will be coming soon, but a temp repair could get you through the upcoming workshops.

If it is a twist type spring I am not sure how well a repair would work. Don't know enough on those.

Another thought - can you borrow a drill press just for the workshop while you wait for yours to be repaired?

Go ahead and order the part, you never know when they will beat their standard 10-15 business day delivery. Those are typically quoted in case they have to "back order", sometimes they have one on the shelf.

My 2 cents, but I would be interested in hearing the result.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The model is DP101. I don't think that will help much. From the diagram I downloaded you can't really tell what the part looks like. To me, it looks like a coil spring that you would find in an old clock or some windup toy, but stronger.

I'll probably end up ordering it online, but I was hoping to get it quickly.

I don't think a temp repair would work. Since it is the first couple of inches of spring that broke off in the middle, I was trying to bend the remainder so I could use it as is, but hadn't much luck.

Worst case scenario, it could be used as is. You just have to raise the spindle, put the car underneath and then you can drill. It just will not return to the up position by itself. I still have my backup mill/drill as well.
Randy Lisano

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

To bend the spring effectively, you would have to heat that part of it ... and it is difficult to isolate.

Many have the spring and a housing to cover it mounted externally easily accessible on the left side as you face the press.

As a "stop gap", can you replace the spring assembly with a pulley wheel (like would be used for a v-belt), wrap a few turns of sash cord, attach to a strong straight spring and anchor 'em to the back of the housing?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:Many have the spring and a housing to cover it mounted externally easily accessible on the left side as you face the press.

As a "stop gap", can you replace the spring assembly with a pulley wheel (like would be used for a v-belt), wrap a few turns of sash cord, attach to a strong straight spring and anchor 'em to the back of the housing?
Interesting idea. Something like that may be possible. I'll have to dig around my junk drawer and see what hardware I have to that could be used, in case I can't get a replacement part in time.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I went ahead and ordered the replacement part online. What kills me is paying $8.00 shipping and handling on a $0.48 part. Oh well. At least they did not have a minimum purchase amount.

Hopefully, I will have it in time; otherwise, I'll have to rig something up.
Randy Lisano

Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Sorry for the late afterthought, but did you order 2?

If the spring (thanks for describing it above, now it makes sense) is a "weak link", you may need another one before you need any other replacement parts. And if the piece itself is only 48 cents, and the shipping 8 bucks, ordering the future replacement while you're at it might be a good idea.

It seems to me the spring gets a LOT of use, and may not be as solid as the other parts.

Just a thought...
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Go Bubba Go wrote:Sorry for the late afterthought, but did you order 2?

If the spring (thanks for describing it above, now it makes sense) is a "weak link", you may need another one before you need any other replacement parts.
I had thought of that, but the original spring lasted about 5 years. Now that I have the mill/drill, that is getting most all of the use (love the X-Y table for positioning).

I keep the drill press around since it has much more vertical travel than the mill/drill. That and having a second machine for workshops would be a benefit.
Randy Lisano

Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

If the drill is operated by turning a spindle and it being a bench top model, couldn't you use a counter weight hanging down the back that is wound up as the user spins the handle to lower the drill. think of a window counter balance.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Well, I got the replacement spring. I got it installed and guess what happens? It breaks! Oh, well. Must be the sign that it is time for a new press :wink:

I went to Home Depot and got the 12" Ryobi drill press for $169. If I had the floor space, I might have gotten a floor press instead. It's a bit bigger than my old 10", but it has a longer travel (would have been helpful for drilling the end to end hole for my Wind Tunnel car for this year's Awana race) and a bigger adjustable table. It also has a variable speed motor, with digital RPM indicator, and laser cross-hairs. I don't know yet if the lasers are just hype or if they are actually helpful in hole positioning. Probably close enough for most uses. It has a built in work light, but they don't include a dog-gone bulb.

Little brother lasted about 5 years, which averages out to $20/year of use. Not bad at all. Hopefully, this one will last at least that long, if not longer (barring any spring breakage).

Randy Lisano

texasprd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by texasprd »

Randy,

Have you measured chuck runout on that unit? I'm looking for a good, low-runout drill press and I'd like to see what you find on that Ryobi.