Which dial indicator would you recommend?

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Which dial indicator would you recommend?

Post by TAL »

We have looked and looked for a couple of dial indicators to use with our micro lathe...

We have found some with 1/4 inch travel and even up to 1 inch travel and different accuracies from .001 to .0005....

We have compared brands on some sites, and have realized that most dial indicators seem to fluxuate in accuracy in time and some are to be disposed of and some can be repaired, some costly and some not so costly...

What is a decent dial indicator for general hobby use with a micro lathe that will not be costly to buy or repair...
FAST Racing
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Which dial indicator would you recommend?

Post by FAST Racing »

I've had good result with this:
www.littlemachineshop.com
The model #1593 dial indicator with stand for $20 is
a good value. Type 1593 in the search box at upper right.
Father And Son T eam = F.A.S.T. Racing
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

I purchased one of the cheap dial indicators at Harbor Freight for $6.95. Have not had any problems. Don't plan on ever repairing but instead just replacing. I also purchased the stand for $7. This combination is very simliar to the one Fast Racing referenced at LittleMachineShop.

I also purchased a Test Indicator for more percision. I purchased one from Enco. It was about $45.
FAST Racing
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by FAST Racing »

FAST Racing wrote:I've had good result with this:
www.littlemachineshop.com
The model #1593 dial indicator with stand for $20 is
a good value. Type 1593 in the search box at upper right.
UPDATE: The model #1782 has been reduced to $20!!! Includes
fitted plastic case AND 22 different style tips....
Father And Son T eam = F.A.S.T. Racing
Bulldog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Bulldog »

Tough question-

Having made my living as a machinist, I certainly have my own preferences, but for something as specific (and frankly, as trivial-no offense) as pinewood derby, I would not spend too much if you don't have other uses for it.

I've always been a fan of the brand names of Mitutoyo and Interapid, BTW.

Anyway, if you are merely testing wheel runout, you are probably much better off using a test indicator, rather than a travel indicator like FAST showed you. Of course, the price he listed for that kit really is a steal.

Here is pic of a typical test indicator-

It can travel in either direction and has a much smaller range of travel- and is typically more accurate as well.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Bulldog wrote:...if you are merely testing wheel runout, you are probably much better off using a test indicator, rather than a travel indicator like FAST showed you. Of course, the price he listed for that kit really is a steal.

It can travel in either direction and has a much smaller range of travel- and is typically more accurate as well.
More accurate - probably, you get what you pay for. You can buy a digital dial indicator with .0002 resolution for about $250 but do you really need it?

I think the advantage of the Dial Indicator is (if you bought the extra tip set) using a flat tip, if the setup moves slightly side to side it won't affect the reading. Also, the tiny tip of the Test Indicator will pickup any minor imperfections, the flat surface of the Dial Indicator tip will better simulate the track surface and show less "noise".

The price is the largest factor. I couldn't justify a Test Indicator. I bought a set, like the model #1782 above, for about $25 from Enco with free shipping. I've since replaced it with a digital Mitutoyo, which allows you to set a zero point.
Bulldog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Bulldog »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:
Bulldog wrote:...if you are merely testing wheel runout, you are probably much better off using a test indicator, rather than a travel indicator like FAST showed you. Of course, the price he listed for that kit really is a steal.

More accurate - probably, you get what you pay for. You can buy a digital dial indicator with .0002 resolution for about $250 but do you really need it?

I think the advantage of the Dial Indicator is (if you bought the extra tip set) using a flat tip, if the setup moves slightly side to side it won't affect the reading. Also, the tiny tip of the Test Indicator will pickup any minor imperfections, the flat surface of the Dial Indicator tip will better simulate the track surface and show less "noise".

The price is the largest factor. I couldn't justify a Test Indicator. I bought a set, like the model #1782 above, for about $25 from Enco with free shipping. I've since replaced it with a digital Mitutoyo, which allows you to set a zero point.
I agree completely. If all you are using it for is pinewood derby wheels, then go cheap.

Another thing about the travel indicator is that the spring tension will be much higher than a test indicator. This means it will significantly push against the wheel. Depending on your setup, it could be an advantage or a disadvantage.

BTW- on a dial indicator, you can still set a zero point by rotating the dial to zero. (I'm sure you knew that, but I'd hate to discourage any potential buyers who are not aware.)
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Bulldog wrote:BTW- on a dial indicator, you can still set a zero point by rotating the dial to zero. (I'm sure you knew that, but I'd hate to discourage any potential buyers who are not aware.)
Yea, but hitting the zero button is much easier and a deviation from zero easier to read.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Look for any other updated recommendations here. I see a lot of low priced ones, but a huge assortment (and diversity). I want one for wheel runout and to check my drill press.

I am thinking I really need 0.0001 graduations for a dial version or I would be staring at an extremely small portion of a dial (assuming I can make somewhat decent wheels :wink: ). Maybe with 5-6 thousands would make the needle move at least though 90 degrees of the dial.

Alternately I would think an ideal digital feature would be for it to "do the watching" and tell you the total run-out measured after traversing around the wheel once or twice. Seems though that the digital ones are at least in the $100 range.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

.0001 graduations are going to cost you some bucks. .0005 is fine. Don't waste your time splitting hairs.