How is this possible?

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

How is this possible?

Post by TAL »

How is it possible for a cowboy to come in town on a Friday, stay 3 days and leave on a Friday?
M7 Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How is this possible?

Post by M7 Racing »

Friday is his horse.
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Today is Friday, and tomorrow is show day! So, today is the day we pretty up the horse! I haven't blanketed him, so he's pretty fuzzy. But, I have trimmed up the mane. I'll put in the bands tonight and put on the sleazy so he won't mess up my hard work overnight.

I've trimmed his legs so he won't look SO fuzzy. (And the Judge will see he's got decent conformation even if he IS fuzzy.) I'll give him a bath this afternoon after he has had a chance to go romp thru the pasture. It rained 2 inches yesterday, so the ground is really soft. I don't want him to wallow in the mud! But, he was cooped up in his stall all day yesterday durning the rain, so, he's got to get out to get his ya-yas out.

The show is for the daughter. (The OTHER k in 2k.) She'll compete in Halter, Open Halter, Showmanship, Walk-Trot 13-18, Open Walk Trot, Western Pleasure 12-18, Open Western Pleasure, Horsemanship, Trail Class, and Reining. She SHOULD win all classes except the Halter classes and Reining. She HAS won in Halter with this horse, but like I said, he's fuzzy. But that's ok. She's never competed in Reining before, but has taken a couple lessons recently. The horse is not really a Reining horse... he doesn't have the big sliding stop.

2k10h
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

2kids10horses wrote:...She'll compete in Halter, Open Halter, Showmanship, Walk-Trot 13-18, Open Walk Trot, Western Pleasure 12-18, Open Western Pleasure, Horsemanship, Trail Class, and Reining.
2k10h
I'll print this out and walk over to the neighbor's to have them explain it to me (They board about 50 horses and compete (and win) regularly).

Hmmm...

On 2nd thought, maybe I shouldn't. It might earn me a "what are ya, just a misplaced city boy" retort LOL. :shock:

Regardless, good luck to "k"!!!
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Bubba:

These are Western classes.

Halter is a beauty show. Like a dog show. You put a nice leather halter on the horse and lead him up to and past the Judge at a walk and then a trot. The Judge looks at his movement. Then they go to the lineup. The horse is set up for inspection. The Judge looks at the bone structure, the degree of fitness as appropriate for the breed. It's all about the horse.

Showmanship is all about how well the horse is shown. It demonstrates the handler's skill of showing the horse. And, the horse has to be trained well to show well. Whereas in Halter, the movements are rather basic, in Showmanship, the pair run a pattern as determined by the Judge, which include turns, backing up, stopping , turning a 360 on one hind leg, etc.

Walk-Trot is a riding class where all the horse go along the rail. First at a walk, then at a trot. Then they reverse direction, and go at a walk, then a trot. The idea is that the horse is to stay at the appropriate gait until asked to change, and stay relaxed, yet responsive to the rider. Walk-trot is generally for beginning riders.

Western Pleasure is just like Walk-Trot with the addition of a third, faster gait, the Lope. (English riders call it "canter".) In Western Pleasure, the horse is supposed to lope really slooooowwww. Almost unnaturally so. Often, the slowest horse wins. It's not supposed to be that way, but that's the way a lot of Judges will call it. But, the horse is supposed to be really relaxed, and the horse and rider are supposed to show that it's a pleasure to ride this horse.

Western Horsemanship is a class where the rider shows he/she has complete control over the horse. One at a time, the team negotioates some pre-set pattern. For example, they may enter the ring at a walk until they come to a cone, then lope on the right lead to the next cone, and then make a circle to the right, back to the cone, then change to the left lead, and make a circle to the left, then when they come back to the cone, stop, and back up 5 steps. Then, they are asked to stand off to the side while the next horse/rider team do the pattern. Once every team has done the pattern, they do rail work, just like Walk-trot. Brooke's horse qualified for the World Show in English Equitation, which is just like Western Horsemanship, but with English tack.

Trail Class is a lot of fun. They put out obstacles like poles to walk over, a wooden platform to simulate crossing a bridge, a gate, a mailbox to get the mail from, etc. You go from one obstacle to the next in the order determined by the Judge, and the horse and rider show they can negotiate them. It's supposed to simulate some of the things a horse and rider might encounter on the trail. Of course, they judge on how well they do it, just IF they do it. Brooke's horse excells in Trail. It's Brooke's favorite class.

Reining is Dressage for Cowboys. Well, kinda. A pattern is selected by the Judge and the horse/rider teams do the pattern. The pattern is usually done mostly at the lope, and there are fast circles, and slow circles. There's usually two spins: One to the left, and one to the right. A couple of rundowns where the horse lopes then gallups full speed, then the horse is cued to a sliding stop. The longer the slide, the better. Brooke's horse does this well, except the sliding stop. She's never done Reining before in a show, so this should be an experience. Reining is a new class for our Saddle Club, so I have NO IDEA what to expect. Of course, all these moves are supposed to be done in such a manner as it looks as if the rider isn't guiding the horse.

Of course, MY JOB is to get the horse looking good, tacked, trailered, fed, watered, hooves picked and polished, clipped, trimmed, brushed, mane banded, saddled, and warmed up!

Of course, if he wins, SHE gets all the credit!

2K10H
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

2kids10horses wrote:Bubba:

Walk-Trot is a riding class where all the horse go along the rail. First at a walk, then at a trot. Then they reverse direction, and go at a walk, then a trot. The idea is that the horse is to stay at the appropriate gait until asked to change, and stay relaxed, yet responsive to the rider. Walk-trot is generally for beginning riders.
Sounds perfect for me. My last ride (about 25 years ago) was more of a walk, then trot, then catapult the rider over the shoulders so he lands head first on a gravel driveway. :(

Not as bad as my UH-1 "tree trimming" adventure, but...
2kids10horses wrote:Of course, MY JOB is to get the horse looking good, tacked, trailered, fed, watered, hooves picked and polished, clipped, trimmed, brushed, mane banded, saddled, and warmed up!

Of course, if he wins, SHE gets all the credit!

2K10H
And turns around and gives a big thumbs up... to Mom! :shock:
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby