Snow in Texas during April

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Snow in Texas during April

Post by BigDozer66 »

Yes that is correct! :D

It has snowed here in East Texas (Lufkin) on April the 7th in the year 2007.

In my area we very seldom ever see snow much less any accumulation but we had it today. 8)

I am 40 years old and can count on 1 hand how many times this has happened here. :)

I have pics of it but I would have to resize them before I post them.

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Snow in Texas during April

Post by Go Bubba Go »

BigDozer66 wrote:I am 40 years old and can count on 1 hand how many times this has happened here. :)
I am of a similar "vintage" and can remember being told in grade school that "Global Cooling" was going to usher in a new ice age, and if we didn't stop driving our big sedans with the gas sucking V8s that we were going to meet the fate of the dinosaurs :(

I'm starting to feel like kind of an old guy, ya know?
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Go Bubba Go wrote:I am of a similar "vintage" and can remember being told in grade school that "Global Cooling" was going to usher in a new ice age, and if we didn't stop driving our big sedans with the gas sucking V8s that we were going to meet the fate of the dinosaurs :(
And thankfully we have reduced airborne pollution and the world is literally a brighter place.

Had the developed world not developed various clean air legislation we may well have ended up in the dimly lit pollution laden world that was predicted.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

WOW! :shock: where else can you see a Texan and a Canadian conversing about snow in Texas in April? :lol:

We are under a Heavy Snow Warning here in MN for today/tonight!
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

SlartyBartFast wrote:
Go Bubba Go wrote:I am of a similar "vintage" and can remember being told in grade school that "Global Cooling" was going to usher in a new ice age, and if we didn't stop driving our big sedans with the gas sucking V8s that we were going to meet the fate of the dinosaurs :(
And thankfully we have reduced airborne pollution and the world is literally a brighter place.

Had the developed world not developed various clean air legislation we may well have ended up in the dimly lit pollution laden world that was predicted.
No disagreement on the importance of reducing airborne pollution. I have a few colleagues who have traveled to the so-called "undeveloped" world and will tell you that ongoing unrestrained pollution in those areas makes the Smog in the Los Angeles basin seem like HEPA filtered hospital air by comparison.

I just scratch my head when I see nearly the same line of argument being used by many of the same "experts" to attribute certain results to man's behavior, only the forecasted result is 180 degrees out of phase to the forecasted result that they told me previously.

So I wonder, had we not reduced pollution between the 70s and today, would BigDozer have gotten snow in April in previous years due to Global Cooling as was forecasted by the "experts" in the 70s, or would he not have gotten any snow in April this year due to Global Warming as is forecasted by the "experts" in recent years.

Too much of an engineer, I guess. If you pull a 180 on me, I expect some explanation as to what changed...

Sorry, BigDozer, didn't start out intending to Hijack, but yet I did...

p.s. It was 27 degrees at my house this morning. When's Summer coming?
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

I'm waiting for summer too...
Go Bubba Go wrote:I just scratch my head when I see nearly the same line of argument being used by many of the same "experts" to attribute certain results to man's behavior, only the forecasted result is 180 degrees out of phase to the forecasted result that they told me previously.
"Experts." and "They." Who are these expert "they"? One study, dismissed by all serious climatologists, yet picked up by the media and used in a couple of SF novels does not constitute a theory backed by experts.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

SlartyBartFast wrote:I'm waiting for summer too...
Go Bubba Go wrote:I just scratch my head when I see nearly the same line of argument being used by many of the same "experts" to attribute certain results to man's behavior, only the forecasted result is 180 degrees out of phase to the forecasted result that they told me previously.
"Experts." and "They." Who are these expert "they"? One study, dismissed by all serious climatologists, yet picked up by the media and used in a couple of SF novels does not constitute a theory backed by experts.
Not sure which theory of the two you are describing, as I would consider your description to be fairly apt for either one at various points in their history.

Unfortunately, the theories (man-made Global Cooling when I was 7 or 8 and now man-made Global Warming when my son is 7 or 8 ) are "theory enough" to be taught in US Public Schools as essentially accepted fact, for which little Johnny must "act now!" and convince his family to change their ways lest we all meet our demise from the impending cold/heat.

At this point I believe we are raising a generation that knows (if I can use that word) more about how to calculate their "Carbon Footprint" than how to understand the properties of Carbon itself or even where to locate it on a Periodic table (what's that?).

US periodicals (you can find them by Googling "Magazine Global Warming Global Cooling" - I believe Copyrights prohibit me linking them here) have done interesting articles in recent years on the change from Global Cooling to Global Warming as the expected result of our over-pollution. In most cases the final gist of the article is "hey, the scientists then just weren't as sophisticated as we are now, but now we know we're right - so we must act immediately".

Wikipedia also has some interesting stuff on Global Cooling and Global Warming, with references to the "expert" scientists who forecasted drastic drops (and/or drastic increases) in Global Surface temp between the 1960s and today.

p.s. As for me, I am just ready for Spring to finally show up. Last night we received our latest "Winter Storm" in April. Approx. 3 inches of snow, heavy winds continuing on through today. I do recall, however, back during the Carter administration (March 24, 1978 - looked this one up) having a terrible Ice Storm at the end of March that shut down a good portion of Central Illinois (I lived south of Decatur, IL at the time). When we had another record winter storm season the following year (1977-1978 and 1978-1979 are still the #1 and #2 worst winter storm periods on record for Central Illinois), it was "certain" that "Global Cooling" was not only coming, it was here!

My point is that we ought to be much more humble with our prognostications of doom and gloom, either on the cold side or on the hot side. We have even come to the point in the US of beginning to use the term "Global Warming Denier" (a take off on "Holocaust Denier") for those that don't subscribe to the "accepted" view with man as the root cause. We should be more thoughtful than this.