Anyone have any interesting hobbies??

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Anyone have any interesting hobbies??

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I'm not sure if you would call it a hobby, but we started collecting various reptiles last summer (after PWD season).

We started with a Bearded Dragon, then a Veiled Chameleon, followed by another Bearded Dragon, a Kenyan Sand Boa, Ball Python, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Trinket snake, and a few small lizards.

Reptiles are great pets. Other than some specific environmental requirements, most required little effort to maintain, most make no noise, most don't make any odor, and most are interesting to look at. Some of the food requirements, like crickets, can be noisy and stinky though.

Most lizards eat some kind of live insects, most snakes eat mice or rats (live or frozen/thawed). Make sure you don't have a problem handling any of these.

Be sure to thoroughly research the requirements, adult size and temperaments before purchasing any reptile. Some cute little lizards grow to be big mean monsters. Green iguanas are one example. The local PETCO sells alot. Don't people realize they grow to 4-5 feet long and can be very mean!! Their claws can tear you apart. A baby Burmese Python may be less than 2 feet long when born, but can grow to over 20 feet long requiring an enclosure the size of a small bedroom and eat rabbits or small pigs!! Any snake over 8 feet should be handled by two people for safety.

Bearded Dragons make a great pet. They have a great temperament, easy to handle, but can eat 50 to 100 cricket per day when young.

My Ball Python seems to be curious of us and his surroundings. He's 9 months old, about 38" long, weighs 850 grams and likes to slither around my head and neck.

We handle most of our reptiles every day or two, except the Bearded Dragons are handled a few times per day. There no sense in having a pet you can't handle.
Last edited by Pinewood Daddy on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Anyone have any interesting hobbies??

Post by TAL »

Interesting; Even thou I don't know much about any or most of the creatures you mention ... I have often heard that the bearded dragons do make good pets...

I did see an episode on T.V where people were getting attacked buy their snakes, like one guy kept his in the bathroom while cleaning his cage and when the guy returned to retain the snake the snake had tore the toilet out of the floor by wrapping around it and then wrapped itself around the man, eventually they killed the snake and the man still has the hide from that reptile.... He said it was received as a baby and it was like a son to him...That thing growed to be like 18 or 20 feet long...

Absolutely, do research before you purchase or recieve an animal...
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Interesting hobbies? I've got several. My wife and I enjoy gimmick car rallyes, and have been involved (in one way or another) with almost all of The Rallye Club's monthly gimmick rallyes for the past 5+ years. We enjoy board and card games (e.g., The Settlers of Catan, TransAmerica, Lost Cities, The Big Idea, Quiddler) and host game nights at least once a month. I enjoy geocaching, but my wife isn't interested in it at all. And of course, I've got a collection of 20 derby cars that I've entered in the All Comers class for our church's annual Shape N Race Derby.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Darin McGrew wrote:I enjoy geocaching, but my wife isn't interested in it at all.
That looks like fun!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:
Darin McGrew wrote:I enjoy geocaching, but my wife isn't interested in it at all.
That looks like fun!!
Our pack has done a few of those as a scheduled activity.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

gpraceman wrote:
Pinewood Daddy wrote: That looks like fun!!
Our pack has done a few of those as a scheduled activity.
That's what I was thinking!! And with the family too.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

FWIW, I'm leading our CSB Stockade unit on a geocaching hike through the Palo Alto baylands this weekend.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Darin McGrew wrote:FWIW, I'm leading our CSB Stockade unit on a geocaching hike through the Palo Alto baylands this weekend.
That's a little too far for a day trip for us!!
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I go cycling for a hobby. . .

THE FOLLOWING IS AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT PLEDGES FOR ME ON A 150 MILE BIKE RIDE FOR MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

This is my 11th year riding in the event and I could really use your help since I am way behind on getting sponsors.

Every hour of every day, someone is diagnosed with MS. That's why I registered for the Larkin Hoffman MS 150 Bike Tour presented by GMAC ResCap, and why I'm asking you to support my fund raising efforts with a tax-deductible donation.

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is dedicated to ending the devastating effects of MS but they can't do it without our help. It's faster and easier than ever to support this cause that's so important to me. Simply click on the link at the bottom of this message. If you prefer, you can send your contribution to the address listed below.

Any amount, great or small, helps to make a difference in the lives of people with MS. I appreciate your support and look forward to letting you know how I do.

P.S. If you would like more information about the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, how proceeds from the MS Bike Tour are used, or the other ways you can get involved in the fight against MS, please visit nationalmssociety.org.

Click here to visit my personal page(and pledge if possible):
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/T ... tafId=7181

Follow this to see Team Norske's home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~hernesjl/ms150

Click here to view the MS Society team page for Team Norske:
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/T ... tafId=7181
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

For our family in the offseason of PWD it is sports. Gymnastics, swimming, diving, baseball, soccer, golf, etc. Teaches hardwork, discipline, and teamwork. Not sure if sports is considered a hobby but it is how we spend our time.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

No surprises with me if you have read very many of my posts:
PWD
CMB
Jr Dragster
Model Rockets
Space Stuff (in general)
Homebuilt Computers
Computer Gaming (1st person shooters mostly)
Hot-rodding (got a daily driver supercharged Camaro)
Design Engineering of Home Projects (CMBs, Pinewoods, Pinewood Track and other items)
Assistant Cubmaster
Un-official Assistant Den Helper (not really a Den Leader though)
VERY amateur astronomy
Movies (if you haven’t seen Caveman… order it from Wal-mart and watch it!)
Guest Speaker at Local School System
Moonbuggy design and team support (inactive at the moment)

Planning a children’s book write based on the countless jokes I make about our Hamster
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

Teeman "Model Rocket"?
Do you fly with a club?

How about these for a fun hobby!

BigSilver
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by BigSilver »

Cubmaster
Rock collecting
Entomology, bugs, alive and dead
Pet scorpion, (Hadrurus arizonensis) and two tarantulas (Az Blond, Chilean Rose)
Rockets
4wheeling and exploring ghost towns and mine sites
Camping, Planning Pack family camping trip to Woverton in the Sequoias with 70 slots in August, planning on Webelow encampment trip from Ca to Az (Camp Geronimo) with 7 boys and 7 fathers in July
Wood working
PWD
Learning how to fish....I live in a Desert :oops:
“Knowledge of all things is possible” Leonardo daVinci
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Teeman "Model Rocket"?
Do you fly with a club?

How about these for a fun hobby!

We have attended a local club shoot a few years ago but not been simply for sake of time... :(

We got into several other things... I have watched a lot of G and H powered birds go up and one N20/Plastic-fueled hybrid solid (7 footer)... man that thing SCREAMED!

We have a D-powered 7foot balloon rocket made by Estes (a Dude!) that has flown once but needs some repair... I have been meaning to get it ready for this July's Pack rocket blast :)

I also managed to book a gent from Thiokol to give his solid/hybrid demo for the boys... a see through plexiglass tube is both the fuel and casing, he feeds it GOX from a pony-bottle and ignites it with speaker wire, a 12V batter and a mega-transformer from a car neon light system... it is intense!... you can watch the flame front build up the tube, it develops Mach-cones and all... he throttles it as part of the demo until the rocket is noticably "complaining" as the combustion is nearly snuffed and pressure oscillations develop... the limit on burn time is the thickness of the case (plexiglass tube)... he gets about 30s per tube.

It is something to see (and hear!).

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

The Estes Dude, or "The Dud" as I have heard it called.
If you get more than one launch out of it, you are lucky. It was not one of Estes better designs, but it does make an impressive launch.

I would love to see that hybrid demo. That sounds really cool.