Charges

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Charges

Post by sporty »

A Local BSA leader was charged with Child molestation.

I had actually met this person.

Was from the Black Hawk Area Council in Illinois.

I was shocked to see this and I am sure many are also.

Sporty
NealOnWheels
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Charges

Post by NealOnWheels »

Sporty,

I worked with this guy for several years on a regular basis as a District Training Chairman for the district he worked with. He was a professional scouter.

I learned of the news yesterday and was shocked. I am very dissapointed with him.

I remember all the times I held Youth Protection Training and he was around and would comment about it.
Bulldog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Bulldog »

I have my opinion as to what should be done with people like this, but it is probably not best to express it here.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

We all have to remember there is a BIG difference in the words "CHARGED" and "CONVICTED"...

I don't know the man or anyone involved in this case...

I really don't see any benefit to anyone by you posting [junk] like this on this board or any other board if you have...

I'm just considering this thread to be somekind of revenge to someone and you really have'nt considered the kid or kids involved in the situation...

If the man is convicted, In my opinion he'll deserve all he gets and probably more and I'll be behind anyone that makes the effort to see that he gets it...

But personnally, I have seen people falsely accussed and all means of spreading the accusations were practiced but when it came time the people were cleared of the issues No one stood up to clear their false accusations...

So please, have your ducks in a row when you go spreading accusations on people that may be wrongly accussed...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TAL wrote:We all have to remember there is a BIG difference in the words "CHARGED" and "CONVICTED"...
TAL is quite correct. That is why we have our justice system. It may not be perfect, but we do need to let this guy be tried in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. The guy does deserve to be considered innocent until proven guilty (in a court of law).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote:
TAL wrote:We all have to remember there is a BIG difference in the words "CHARGED" and "CONVICTED"...
TAL is quite correct. That is why we have our justice system. It may not be perfect, but we do need to let this guy be tried in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. The guy does deserve to be considered innocent until proven guilty (in a court of law).
Agreed.
TAL wrote:I really don't see any benefit to anyone by you posting [garbage] like this on this board or any other board if you have...

I'm just considering this thread to be somekind of revenge to someone and you really have'nt considered the kid or kids involved in the situation...
IMO you might want to back up a little and try to be as even-handed with Sporty as you are being with the charged (but not convicted) person in question. Esp. given that Sporty withheld the specifics (names, allegations, supposed evidence), it does not appear to me to be an attempt to try the man in public. Sporty can speak for his own motivations, but to assign him a malicious motive like revenge and to assume he has failed to consider anyone else involved seems hasty at best IMO.

You may see no benefit to his posting, but to me at least it serves as a good reminder of our need to be vigilant with respect to Youth Protection issues.

If the man is innocent, just the appearance of impropriety will still have caused damage to the man and to the Scouting organization. There has already been a reply on-line to the article annoucing his charges indicating that the local Council had been warned before of concerns about this man and (apparently) did nothing. Even should this all be proven false, the stench will remain.

If the man is guilty, far worse is involved. Suffice it to say that people I care about deeply have been seriously hurt by actions such as those that are alleged with this man. I will say no more about that except that I believe a special corner you know where is reserved for people who abuse their positions of authority over children and those who allow them to continue.

Innocent or guilty will be determined (at least in the short term) in a court of law.

IMO what we should take away from the mere issue of Charges is a reminder to us to take Youth Protection very seriously and to do all we can to avoid both the appearance and certainly the actual occurence of any impropriety.

I was reminded in reading a post a few months back that Youth Protection training is not just to protect the Youth from actual harm, but also to protect the adult leaders from any unjust accusations. When charges have been filed, the leaders involved have failed on at least one of those two objectives.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I was trying to be carefull, In just providing some basic info.

I was more thinking of awareness and the children.

His photo and name have since been on the local news.

Yes, I feel some cheap shots were taken at me. But I am welcome to with stand them.

Awareness is the key. It provides a chance for the parents of their children to keep awareness about such things that can happen.

And for those that may have encountered or met this person. To take the time to have a talk with there child.

Our goal should be, as mine is ! to keep our children safe.

As I mentioned, I had spoke with him in the past and met him in person. It was a shock to me. I have not formed a decision in this. I will await for the over all outcome.

Again, this is not about slander or other items suggestion or made opinions on.

It's about awareness !!

Sincerely,

Sporty
dstory
Merchant
Merchant

Post by dstory »

I know this an old post, but sadly it is never an old topic in today's society. I generally agree with the folks that say "innocent until proven guilty." However, I think in this particular type of offense, you have to err on the side of protecting the children. If the guy turns out to be innocent, then forget it and move on. But if he is guilty, then he should never work with kids again. Law enforcement statistics say that pedophiles always re-offend, it is just a matter of time. I am not passing judgment with that statement, just stating the statistics. It is a matter to treat with the utmost of concern. Nothing is more valuable than our children.
NealOnWheels
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by NealOnWheels »

After a short trial this man was found guilty:

http://www.saukvalley.com/articles/2009 ... /index.xml

A sad case for all involved.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Yeps, you posted the info, quicker then what I could.

Made the local paper today on the results. Jury found him guilty.

Are love and caring go out to the boy and his family.

This is not a true reflection of all the great scout leaders out there.

Sporty
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

There are a few seemingly [censored] scout leaders at the Council level in our area. I hope nothing like that happens here.
Fatdaddy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Fatdaddy »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:There are a few seemingly [censored] scout leaders at the Council level in our area. I hope nothing like that happens here.
I know homosexuality isn't allowed in the BSA, however being [censored] doesnt make you a child molester.

We have a mother in our pack who told her son's den leader "don't think I don't know, all cub scout leaders are child molesters"

Her husband is a former cubmaster in another pack, what does that say about him? And yet she sends her kid to Catholic school as well as den meetings alone. Hypocrisy runs rampant in the general populace.

Back on topic, I'm glad the scumbag is going to jail, hopefully they'll treat him well behind bars. Good riddance.