The Quiet Season

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

The Quiet Season

Post by Teeeman »

Races are mostly over and summer approaches…

sure is getting quiet in here…

it would be fun to see a graph of website activity level…

number of posts/week graphed for the last 5 years (if the site has been here that long, think it has)?

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: The Quiet Season

Post by Go Bubba Go »

I'll say it's quiet. I keep expecting to see a Tumbleweed go bouncing across the screen when I log on.

I would like to see the long term graph myself, with the corresponding years data overlaid and maybe a Min, Max, 4 yr. average line. I check out the Statistics page once in a while to see month by month, but the history only goes back 1 year and it's monthly rather than weekly totals.

TMK the start date of Derby Talk (gpraceman new member, first "News and Announcement" posting) was June 20, 2003. A little less than 4 years worth.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The kids races are quite seasonal. Most happen during the school year, so it does get very quite here from May to about August.

As Bubba pointed out, the stats listed on Statistics page of this site only go back 1 year. The webstats (number of visitors, countries, etc.) that I have access to as the site admin also only go back a year as well.

The board officially started Jun 19, 2003 at 11:46 pm MDT
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Thanks guys!

Cool to know :)

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

I don't remember it getting this quite this fast in past years. Every year we plan on building some cars in the summer and never get around to it.

This year we are really going to do it. I am going to clean the shop this week-end :)
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

It is quiet around here! Big change since I last stopped by and it does seem to have hit a little earlier than normal this year.

PWD, I too had planned to get an early start and do some car building this summer when most of my extracurricular activities slow down. I have some ideas for a design award contender I would like to try out - in time to change my mind and try again if necessary!

Unfortunately, my daughter has had some health issues lately and we have spent our time with doctors and not pinewood. Also a few weeks ago a cat moved into my workshop and had 7 kittens!!! Of course under the circumstances my daughter loves them so no chance of evicting them anytime soon. I'm beginning to feel like 2kids10horses, only for me it would be 12 cats, the 8 new ones plus the 4 we already had!

Would it be wrong to list cats as an item on the trading post? :D
We are Ambassadors for Christ
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Seems to be quiet on the boards. . . and on the fund raising for MS front.

Are we too busy to have some fun or is everyone out having other fun?

My summer plans are to do the MS-150 bike ride but even the and on the fund raising for MS front is real slow. (please consider sponsoring me)

Otherwise I am going to build an 18 Wheeler BIG RIG for a PwdRacing race in September. A bunch of us have decided to have a BIG RIG race since we are all at the same level for building them -- nobody with lots of experience so I'll stand a chance! :D

Any ideas on how to build a fast one would be greatly appreciated!
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
RacerRusty
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by RacerRusty »

I've been making a list of topics for new threads but I have been holding off on posting them until I have read all the threads. I don't want ask a question or start a thread if there is already one that covers the information.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

Rmoose sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope she is feeling better :)
Well we still have not started building. Always seems something comes up and PWD has to take a lower priority.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

Thanks PWD, she is doing better. We go back to the doctor next week to finetune the treatment and hopefully that will eliminate the remaining symptoms.

No car building action taking place here either. I tried to complete a few projects that just would not wait the other day and surprise, surprise, the cats didn't like all the noise :roll:

I'm not sure how much work I would be able to do around them right now anyway - they are at that "get into everything" kitten stage and I would probably spend more time getting them out of the places they shouldn't be in than actual car building. Hopefully by next year's workshop they will have found new homes!
We are Ambassadors for Christ
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

No car building also. I bought a really cool car from the 60/70's on eBay last month. I plan on duplicating it to race in next years Open class.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

To add to our existing collection of reptiles, we bought a baby Black and White Argentine Tegu 3 weeks ago. He's 3 months old, 51 grams and almost 12" long now. They grow to 3.5 to 4.5 feet long. Some can be 3 feet long after the first year!!! He's been a little sick since we got him. Sometimes the stress of relocation can cause them to stop eating and the natural bacteria and parasites in their intestinal tract to multiply. We've been feeding him stage 1 meat baby foods and Activia yogurt everyday to get him eating normally again. He's eaten a few crickets and butter worms on his own, but he's inconsistent. At least he's alot more alert and doesn't seem to mind being held. He should be moving into a larger tank this weekend, with plans to build a large enclosure for him in the fall (just before we start thinking about PWD!!).
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

The car looks cool.

It is amazing the stuff you can sell/buy on ebay. It is truely amazing. In the past this car would have been thrown in the trash or sold at a garage sale for a quarter. With Ebay you end up with a happy buyer and a happy seller :)