BSA Popcorn Kernel Colonel Awards

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

BSA Popcorn Kernel Colonel Awards

Post by Go Bubba Go »

So our Pack started up this year with Popcorn sales for the first time (at least as a Pack) in many moons.

We did pretty well for a "first year", thanks largely to the efforts of our Kernel Colonel.

Any suggestions you guys have on the types of Awards (formal / informal) that you could present an adult leader at a Pack meeting for Promoting Popcorn Proficiency?

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: BSA Popcorn Kernel Colonel Awards

Post by sporty »

I have seen a few years ago, a plaque given out at the awards banquet.

Also gift certificates were given out to them.

Glad to see your pack back at popcorn. My sons former local pack does very well each year. The added funds from the sale help bring alot of extra goodies for everyone.

The kids who sell alot, the added funds into their account that helps pay for activities through-out the year.

Then some funds that also go to the pack.

As I recall, they were doing good enough, that there was talk of not pushing the bake auction so hard.

ALot of the pack leaders and helpers this year, were out at local stores selling the popcorn on the spot.

Sincerely,

Sporty
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

The coach of winning football teams often gets a cooler of Gatorade dumped over his head. Not that I see the point in that, but a bag of popcorn likewise dispensed might be appreciated by sports fans.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
Jomo
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Jomo »

I just saw this thread and, hey I'm eating cub scout popcorn right now. My son was second in his pack. He got a couple goodies and a $20 target card. Mmm this popcorn is good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CM924
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CM924 »

Popcorn sales is the only fund raiser we do all year. Our sales sustain the Pack's needs for the entire program. We gave our top dog a nice little outdoor survival kit. Had a compass, and swiss type knife, field glasses and assorted other goodies. Was pretty nice really.
Jeff
Cubmaster Pack 924
Jomo
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Jomo »

That's what my son got. He also got a marshmellow gun that didn't work. I called the # on the box and they sent a new one. It works, kind of. :roll:
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

Our Pack used to basically pay the whole program with popcorn sales (after I joined)! My motto is "Hit the beach hard, and early". I saw the Girl Scouts selling their cookies (of course I bought cookies- how can you turn the little sweeties down?). So I set up with some stores to sell popcorn at the doors as people exited. At some stores we were making more than $1 a minute at each door (three doors). I had cash stuffed in every pocket of my Scout trousers, sweating bullets that I was going to get robbed! We made about $1000 that day.

Some people complained that the boys who sold popcorn were not rewarded as much as they could be. But I noticed that the ones who sold popcorn were also the ones at all the pack activities, so it works out.

On the rewarding of leaders: The gifts used to be pretty sweet. The year our pack sold over $5000, the popcorn organizer (I) got the red jac-shirt you see all your commissioners wearing. At the time, it cost about $80. That was in the mid-90s. Pretty cool. Later, it was a mug. The last time I ran the popcorn sales for a unit, I got zilch, except for the satisfaction that I helped a lot of boys who would have not had an opportunity. Inflation set in, and now the small tin of caramel corn is $7 (or was it $8, and no pecans?), but I don't care. My boys are out of scouting, but we buy popcorn every year when the guys show up at the door. Our whole family really likes the program!