Know of any good bandsaws?

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Know of any good bandsaws?

Post by gpraceman »

I am considering adding a bandsaw to my workshop and wanted to get some recommendations from bandsaw owners out there. This is not a tool that I intend to let kids use, so no need to get into the bandsaw vs. scrollsaw debate.

Basically, I want a reasonably good saw for under $300 that will be occasionally used for cutting wood and metal (aluminum). The 9" saws look like toys and anything 14" or bigger is probably overkill for my needs. A decent fence would be nice as well. I am not going to be resawing lumber, so that is not a concern.

I see the Craftsman 10" and 12" saws have pretty good reviews on the Sears website. Any other decent ones out there?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Know of any good bandsaws?

Post by dna1990 »

I got one this season, the 14" one from Harbor Freight for around $250 on sale. I then replaced the blade with a TimberWolf and switched to cool blocks, another $40 or so.

We have Woodcraft and Rockler stores here, so I went and looked at the Deltas, Jet, Powermatics etc. Just could not see the $600-$1000 for my needs. But also labored over the fact that most expensive tools are the cheap ones you end up replacing anyway. (I think I read that quote here somewhere).

I had a neighbor with the HF model and got to see it in action. He had done some work to further minimize vibration, although I did not get the details. I was impressed enough to go with the HF.

I was looking hard at the Grizzly model, but the high fuel freight costs put that one out of reach of a local HF on sale. Plus, everyone says they are really the same saw.

I am happy for PWD work, although it has some vibration I plan to investigate on how best to address. I have used it plenty for other quick cuts over cranking up the table saw. I made a new table top and adapted a 4" dust collector chute to it.

Would I recommend it for real workworking? No. But fine enough for pine blocks and occasional hobby use, sure. But do get a good low tension blade right away. If you need a fence, you will want to replace that too.

Definitely look for it on sale, and find a %off coupon to use on it. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/em ... Coupon.jpg

If you are looking to drop more coin, I thought the ShopFox and JET were better than Delta, based on looking alone, not any usage experience.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Thanks for the info.

I may end up holding off on a bandsaw. I found a mini cut-off saw that would cut small metal stock and is way less expensive. If it doesn't work out, it is only $19 down the drain.

For woodworking, my scrollsaw, jig saw and table saw should do me fine.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

gpraceman wrote:I may end up holding off on a bandsaw. I found a mini cut-off saw that would cut small metal stock and is way less expensive. If it doesn't work out, it is only $19 down the drain.
Took a look at this machine and it is much smaller than I expected. :oops: If you were building models, then maybe this would work.

I guess what I'd really need is a saw that can cut mid to small sized metal stock. Mostly, aluminum.

Something like the ones below. I don't have much floor space available, so I like that they can go on a bench top. If anyone has any experience with saws like these, let me know.

Image Image
Randy Lisano

ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

I have a delta 9 inch ban saw...The blade bows on me some...this is more for crafts...So make sure you get a really good saw. and If I had to buy a saw today I would look for one that does have a fence on the table.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

If you are cutting aluminum you might want to consider a circular saw blade made for soft metals. I have one for cutting Al/Cu, brass and it does a great job. Fast and clean cuts. Blades are pricey though.
Terry
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

terryep wrote:If you are cutting aluminum you might want to consider a circular saw blade made for soft metals. I have one for cutting Al/Cu, brass and it does a great job. Fast and clean cuts. Blades are pricey though.
I have been considering that as an option. My old chop saw needs to be replaced though. I'd need a new saw no matter what type, and I wouldn't want to try cutting metal on my table saw. I've seen kickback with wood and I really wouldn't like to see it with a hunk of metal. :shock:

I would probably get more overall use out of a good miter saw, but I get sticker shock looking at them. I do see a DeWalt 10" that looks good and isn't outrageously expensive. I assume that I can use a smaller diameter blade as long as it has the same arbor size. The 10" metal cutting blades are real expensive. The 7-1/4" ones are more reasonable.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I went ahead and got a new miter saw, because I absolutely NEEDED one. :wink: It will come in handy for the deck I need to build this spring. Hopefully, with a metal cutting blade, it will cut up the aluminum that I need for another project.

Home Depot has a real good sale on right now for select DeWalt and Ridgid power tools. I got the 10" miter saw for $175. Regularly it is $219. I also got an Irwin laser guide for about $28 to go with it.

They even have my Ridgid table saw on sale (good saw) for $466. I paid $549 for mine.

Here's the miter saw:

Randy Lisano

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I recently used a friends band saw from mendards for around $80. it worked very well at the kids pine wood derby work shop.

I just have the generic belt sander for $67 from there and the generic scroll saw from there also.

So on my list is the cheap-o band saw.

It might not work aswell for wood or heavy cutting, but for pine wood derby and light work, comes in handy.

I dont do alot of wood work, so I did not get top dollar stuff and so far those two I have have held up well.

no pic on menards site, however one like this but a little less on the cost.

Sporty
dstory
Merchant
Merchant

Post by dstory »

If you think you will get more use out of a miter saw, then by all means go that direction. You don't have to spend a lot to get a good durable saw. I teach middle school shop and we go through a lot of saws. The expensive ones don't necessarily last any longer or cut any better. Spend some money on a good blade and that will help a lot.

Happy Shopping
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I finally did break down and buy a band saw. I got the 10" Craftsman from Sears when it was on sale. With the sale and discount for being a Craftsman Club member, it ended up being $123 with tax, regularly $199. Not bad. I chose the 10" saw over the 9", since it came with a fence and a bit bigger of a table. It also had better reviews.

The blade that came with the saw was OK, but I wanted something with more TPI to give a smoother cut, so I got a 3/16", 10TPI blade. Getting it to track right was a bit of a pain, but I finally got it adjusted. I sure wouldn't want to try getting a 1/8" wide blade to track right.

I am actually not going to be using this saw to cut out cars. Instead, I will be using this to cut up some material for a couple of products that I will be offering for next season. Preliminary cuts with it look good.
Randy Lisano