Cheapest Gas in Your Area

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cheapest Gas in Your Area

Post by gpraceman »

GravityRacer wrote:Gas is still about 3.25 here in California, where I am- but it's usually higher than anywhere else because of state sales tax. I suspect that the guys manipulating the market are getting out of the biz after the Feds announced they were going to investigate. But somebody got rich off the American people yet again, in the meanwhile.
I lived in San Diego for 16 years, had our prices jacked up on many occassions and were very slow to recede. People complained, the Feds threatened to investigate, but nothing ever happened. Someone was (is) raking in the $$$.

I'm wondering what will happen to prices once the elections are over and a new administration is in office. I have a feeling they will jump again.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Well, here in the upper mid-west gas seems to be going down still. . .

Filled up this morning at $2.24 . . . seemed to take forever to hit the $50 mark. :lol:
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

$2.49. Fell $0.10 at that station today. Most are $2.59.
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

gpraceman wrote:
GravityRacer wrote:Gas is still about 3.25 here in California, where I am- but it's usually higher than anywhere else because of state sales tax. I suspect that the guys manipulating the market are getting out of the biz after the Feds announced they were going to investigate. But somebody got rich off the American people yet again, in the meanwhile.
I lived in San Diego for 16 years, had our prices jacked up on many occassions and were very slow to recede. People complained, the Feds threatened to investigate, but nothing ever happened. Someone was (is) raking in the $$$.

I'm wondering what will happen to prices once the elections are over and a new administration is in office. I have a feeling they will jump again.
In all fairness the oil companies, the granolas here in sunny Cal have also forced them to produce a different product from what is offered in other localities, which also drives up the cost. I live here in the SCAB (South Coast Air Basin) where the topography generates an inversion layer that holds the pollutants in pretty well. When the temperature gets over about 105 Fahrenheit, the inversion layer breaks up from the thermals, but the elderly die. I remember driving into California from Illinois, where I did my Navy A-school training. Driving into LA from Nevada I could see this brown clump on the horizon that I knew was the smog in LA. It's a bit different now from what it was in 1973.
derby doc
Merchant
Merchant

Post by derby doc »

Not to get political, but I saw where the president of Venezuela (is that how its spelled?) wants to make an absolute bottom price for oil.
As of now, the cheapest that I saw today was $2.23
Most stores are around $2.35 here.
Ill take $1.99 please :D
(Less than $2 fuel= The best stimulus plan that the country could offer)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

GravityRacer wrote:In all fairness the oil companies, the granolas here in sunny Cal have also forced them to produce a different product from what is offered in other localities, which also drives up the cost.
Yes, we sure know how beneficial MTBE is as it leaks out of the gas station tanks and into the ground water. Yet another "progressive" CA effort gone awry.
GravityRacer wrote:I live here in the SCAB (South Coast Air Basin) where the topography generates an inversion layer that holds the pollutants in pretty well. When the temperature gets over about 105 Fahrenheit, the inversion layer breaks up from the thermals, but the elderly die. I remember driving into California from Illinois, where I did my Navy A-school training. Driving into LA from Nevada I could see this brown clump on the horizon that I knew was the smog in LA. It's a bit different now from what it was in 1973.
I was in the Navy and doing excercises off the SoCal coast, the LA haze could be seen for so many miles offshore. It was rather disgusting.

On occasion, we get an inversion layer over Denver, since it sits in a bowl. Still nothing to compare to LA.
derby doc wrote:(Less than $2 fuel= The best stimulus plan that the country could offer)
It's nice that it is finally coming down to a more reasonable level. If one doesn't look at their 401K (what's left of it), then we could all be quite happy.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
derby doc
Merchant
Merchant

Post by derby doc »

I saw 2 stores in our area with $1.99 fuel today. :D
Most stores are between $2.05 - $2.10
dstory
Merchant
Merchant

Post by dstory »

I can remember over the summer I was so excited to pay $3.46 while we were in NY. Then we drove back through Canada and paid over $5 a gallon. Today in WA state, I paid under $2 a gallon for the first time in I don't know how long. I suppose it can't last, but I am sure enjoying this while I can. I hope it hits those greedy buggers hard on the other side of the supply line.
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Mike Doyle »

I was in the Ozarks yesterday (Central Missouri) and gas was $1.77 for Regular (not the E80 stuff either, just basic regular gas with 10% Ethanol).

I don't feel so bad about what I drive anymore :-)
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

dstory wrote:I can remember over the summer I was so excited to pay $3.46 while we were in NY. Then we drove back through Canada and paid over $5 a gallon. Today in WA state, I paid under $2 a gallon for the first time in I don't know how long. I suppose it can't last, but I am sure enjoying this while I can. I hope it hits those greedy buggers hard on the other side of the supply line.
I heard over a year ago that the prices were going up because the "New Young Turks" on Wall Street liked the profit potential in petroleum. Now that billions have been scraped off the hide of the US population, the prices are going down. These levels of decrease indicate a 40% drop in consumption, which is not possible. OPEC has even cut production to bring the price up, and that's not working real quick.

The best thing we can do in this country is conserve. Petroleum is going to be gone soon. Hopefully the alternatives like solar will pick it up. A lot of good strides in efficiency have been made. But the real answer is to quit using so much. It's a pain in the neck, sometimes, carpooling with two other people, but I spend $170 less a month just in gas money. That's over $2000 a year!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

It finally hit under $2 a gallon around here. I thought prices would never come back under that mark. I'm not optimistic that it will remain this low for very long. All it takes is a conflict in the middle east, a hurricane, or the speculators on Wall Street to drive things back up.
Randy Lisano

dstory
Merchant
Merchant

Post by dstory »

How low can it go? We are down to $1.85 in Spokane, WA.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

We finally saw $1.99 (no name cheap stuff) yesterday.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

$1.89 in South Alabama this morning.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

$2.07 in South Eastern N.C . Went down .05 yesterday and .05 day before, Who knows, maybe another.05 today.

With these price falls it just goes to show how we have been being ripped off .

It should have never went over $2.00 to start with.