Service "requirements" for participating in Scout

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Service "requirements" for participating in Scout

Post by Go Bubba Go »

I heard of a local Troop (that shall remain nameless) that has decided as of late that in order to increase participation in Troop sponsored / affiliated Community Service projects, the Scouts that wish to participate in future outings / camping trips will be required to participate in the specific Community Service projects as a precondition. Want to go to Summer Camp, have to work the park building project. Want to go to the swimming outing, have to work the community cleanup day. That sort of thing.

Although my boys and I are pretty good about participating in the "work stuff" as well as the "fun stuff" so that it wouldn't typically impact us, I REALLY don't like this sort of thing. Three reasons come to mind:

1) I'm not sure that despite the "best intentions" of the folks that came up with this idea, that rather than increasing participation of the "lazy" (yes, this group of folks actually talks this way regularly about the boys) they might end up just running off the ones for whom the outings aren't "worth the effort". IMO over time even the "fun stuff" can turn some of these kids around with regard to their "lazy"ness.

2) I'm also concerned that even among the "non-lazy", the tone of this "do it or else" requirement might alienate people who are otherwise enjoying and participating fully in the program.

3) Almost inevitably these ideas become nearly impossible to administer "fairly", with various boys (and adults) having various schedule conflicts that make it difficult to attend the "required" events. And if you don't let the "lazy" boy off for his "half-baked excuse", how do you let the enthusiastic Sr. Patrol Leader off when he has to stay home on cleanup day and watch his siblings because Mom and Dad are both out of town on business and Grandma's in the hospital, etc...

Any thoughts you guys have about this proposal? I understand that it seems like pulling teeth sometimes to get enough Community Service project volunteers, but I just don't think this sort of approach is a good one.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Service "requirements" for participating in Sc

Post by pack529holycross »

Personally I would challenge the proposal only from the perspective that if you have a requirement, then that requirement must be available for all potential participants to complete. If ANY kids are committed to other events that weekend, then the Troop would be REQUIRED to create another event to satisfy the "requirement" for other events.

I.E. " we cannot come to the event this saturday - so you have to create a service project for all boys who are scheduled for conflicting events."

This REQUIREMENT placed upon the leadership might give them a different perspective.

nicholas
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

I agree with what Nicholas said. What happens to the boys who are busy with something else on the day of the required project? Sick? Another scouting project?

If they say they will make an exception on a case by case basis, then you have then. It is no longer a requirement. It is targeted.

I don't see the point of forcing someone to do something. What are they going to do if the boy shows up and doesn't do his best - in their opinion.

If they don't want to be there, they aren't going to give it their all, and that is contagious.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

It almost sounds like they are saying you have to particapate in the packs pet projects and do the grunt work to get the fun times.

I at times have felt that scouting is a elective and should remain that. This sounds more like reguirement to get fun.

There are still kids who join scouts, not for the goal to further it past cub scouts. But just to be involved and enjoy it.

There seems to be a ever and more bigger push for them to get there merit badges and meet there requirement to they can move on in advancement.

Not all kids are eager to rake leaves and stand outside of stores trying to sell goods or walk around town to houses trying to sell goods also.

Ever more, it's become about money and recieving awards from the local community.

I know a little off topic here, but cub scouts makes money. I have yet to understand why a packs money goes to repaying the volunteers for training.

When headquarters or district should handle that.

So, I'm not surprised at all that a pack or future packs may go to this reguirement in order to attend the fun events.

sporty
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

My son was with a pack of about 35 scouts, when the pack suddenly took on your number two option of a "do it or else" attitude. In about nine months the pack lost 65% of its members, including good leaders as well. Of the members it lost, half of them transferred to other packs in the area, and the other half decided that they had enough of scouting. Definitely a sad thing to see.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!