Windows 7 Pre-Order

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windows 7 Pre-Order

Post by gpraceman »

Starting today until July 11, you can pre-order a Windows 7 upgrade for 50% off ($49.99 Home Premium, $99.99 Professional).

http://promotions.newegg.com/Microsoft/ ... index.html - Free shipping to boot.

You can also get a free upgrade if you buy a system that has Vista or buy Vista by itself between now and the time Win7 is released. I went and bought Vista Business about two weeks ago. I wish I would have known this was coming and I could have had a free upgrade. :pullhair: :cry:

So far, I have heard some pretty good reviews on Win7 from those that have tried the Beta or RC. Less taxing on system resources, faster, and less security nagging than Vista.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 Pre-Order

Post by gpraceman »

I installed the Win7 RC (release candidate) recently on my laptop so I could test my software against it. It isn't that new of a laptop (2005) and was originally configured with XP and later upgraded to Vista, so I was expecting to run into driver issues. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I did need to update the video and sound drivers, but those were easily overcome.

I do notice a speed increase over Vista and it isn't so bloated, which is nice. It is also nice not to get so many security nag screens that Vista is infamous for. Norton AV 2009's advanced protection doesn't work on Win7, which was a bit of a disappointment, but they have a beta that does. The anti-virus and anti-spyware protection, firewall and other features work fine. None of my other programs, even older ones, have had problems running on Win7.

Overall, Win7 has been quite stable and is an improvement over Vista. I went ahead and pre-ordered an upgrade to Win7, taking advantage of the 50% off.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.