Scout Tracking Software

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Scout Tracking Software

Post by *5 J's* »

Okay - I know this is not PWD related, but it is Scouting related - and with all the talent on this forum I thought I would ask.

As we are start off a new scouting year, I was curious if anybody has a recommendation for Scout tracking software? I know there are about a dozen available - some free - some with a small cost. I would think an online program would be best so that all leaders and perhaps parents could access. For my den last year I used the ScoutTrax Excel based software. This is great for Den level - but not best for Pack level tracking. Any suggestions?
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Scout Tracking Software

Post by dna1990 »

We use ScoutTrack - seems to be OK. Have seen times where Advancement report got way off, but their support team did some DB magic and fixed it.

We like it for central calendar, has good categories and can display pack and den level items, school events, etc.

Export can be odd sometimes like for addresses, depending on how scouts and parents signed up. Those with separated parents for example, or sometimes parents with multiple scouts - can have funny output in resulting CSV file. Easy to fix usually, but you have to watch for it.

We have large pack (150-170) and no longer try to use any imports...manual upkeep is easier to trust and the rollover of scouts to new ranks works much better if not trying to mass import.

Mass eMails to Den(s), whole pack, just leaders, etc - works well for us. Reminder eMails from calendar is useful.

Cheap.

We don't use it, but can track dues or fees owed per event, as well as attendence. It has simplistic but decent tracking of adult training records.

Wish it had an extra layer of security at den level - so other parents could be assigned permission to update calendar without being designated a 'leader'. Wish it had some better selection UI on the eMail, currently have to 'uncheck' alot of names if you want to pick-n-choose recipients versus whole group.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Scout Tracking Software

Post by *5 J's* »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I am looking at Scouttrack as well as ScoutManage, both online programs. I am also checking to see if the den leaders have any interest in this type of tracking.