Track rental: What's a fair price?

Here's a place for members to buy, sell, trade or list wanted supplies, tools, etc.. This is not a forum for commercial merchants to advertise in.
Husker
Journeyman
Journeyman

Track rental: What's a fair price?

Post by Husker »

Our Pack has a 6 lane BestTrack track with a FastTrack timer. We have the software to run it.

We have a group of people that would like to use it. The Pack leadership is ok with renting it to them. We're trying to decide what a fair price is.

Thought and input appreciated.
Jason Henning

Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Track rental: What's a fair price?

Post by gpraceman »

Our pack charges $250.

We bring in the track/timer/computer/projector, set it all up, run the computer, and do the tear down. We usually provided a crew of two to three to do all that.

The pack does the check-in of the cars, emcee the race and provides a runner for returning the cars from the finish line to the staging table.

Never just lend out your track setup. There should always be someone from your pack to accompany it to make sure it doesn't get damaged and all parts gets returned.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

gpraceman wrote:
Never just lend out your track setup. There should always be someone from your pack to accompany it to make sure it doesn't get damaged and all parts gets returned.
Case in point, I let another pack just come and get my track (which I have since sold). When they were finished, the Cubmaster didn't have time to bring it back, so I had to go pick it up. It was leaning against the wall of his garage, outside, standing in the mud.

After that, anyone wanting to borrow it paid me full retail and got their money back, less the rent, when they brought it back, if I was not able to bring it, set it up, and tear it down.
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

Jason,

From your screen name, can I assume you are from this area? (Nebraska)

Our Pack rents one every year. I'll ask our Cubmaster what we have been paying the last few years for track rental. It seems like we always rent from a different place each year, so I can probably get a better idea of what rentals go for in this area (eastern Nebraska) in general.

Randy
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I do lots of races every year for packs, church groups, girl scouts, and others. I do not have a fee. I operate totally on a donation basis.

I don't want to deliver a different program to a small pack of 8 boys that has just formed as the program I deliver for the pack of 100 boys that broke their popcorn sales record. Given that, I can say that so far this year we are running anywhere from $0 to $600 for an event. The $600 was a corporate fundraiser put on by a scouter who used to run one of the council's summer camps. The scouts that were working that event are going to Philmont this summer so they were VERY HAPPY!

I always donate funds to the camping account of the scouts who come and help out, independently of the donation I may get. If I have funds left over I put them back into scouting, either through scholarships, unit donations, and the track system.

One of my favorite sayings is: "I don't want to make my budget problems yours and please don't make your budget problems mine."
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Mr. Slick wrote:I do lots of races every year for packs, church groups, girl scouts, and others. I do not have a fee. I operate totally on a donation basis.
I have always been impressed with how far you go to help out in the kids races. I am surprised that you go only on a donation basis. We do go on a donation basis for the 3 track setups that we make available to Awana clubs in our region. The track setups belong to our Awana missionary and there is a custodian for each.

However, I do not think it unreasonable (and I am pretty sure you agree) for some group with a track setup to earn some money off of renting it out. Afterall, a track/timer/software setup is a significant investment and there are those without their own setup that cannot yet afford that expenditure, so they need an alternative. Our pack did about 5 to 7 races a year for other packs and were able to more than pay off that initial investment. Of course, after it was all paid off, then that rental money went towards pack activities.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I totally agree that units be fairly compensated for their efforts and use of their resources. I believe that the investment in a track and all of the other things that go with it should be recouped by the initial purchaser via rentals to other groups. This helps spread the program in addition to spreading the cost over several groups. I don't believe that a unit could recoup the entire cost of a set-up in one season or even a couple of seasons unless they do lots and lots of events. :?

A couple of pointers:
Do send "your volunteers" with the track/timer/etc at least for the set-up and some instructions.

Do have "your volunteers" there to direct take-down and storage of the items.

Please be flexible in what is charged and take into account the ability to pay.

Have fun at the races!
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Mr. Slick wrote:I don't believe that a unit could recoup the entire cost of a set-up in one season or even a couple of seasons unless they do lots and lots of events. :?
Our pack was able to recoup the initial investment in a season and a half, but we did run quite a few races.
Mr. Slick wrote:A couple of pointers:
Do send "your volunteers" with the track/timer/etc at least for the set-up and some instructions.

Do have "your volunteers" there to direct take-down and storage of the items.
Very good suggestions if letting someone else use your track (rental or not).
Mr. Slick wrote:Please be flexible in what is charged and take into account the ability to pay.
True. I did forget to say that for small packs we would charge less (usually $200).
Randy Lisano

Sterling Mark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sterling Mark »

FYI - There is a gentleman out in the Seattle, WA area who charges $130 for most races ($300 for weekday races before 6:00pm). His website is http://www.rentmytrack.com

For a full description of what is included try http://www.rentmytrack.com/RentalDescription.aspx
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

In terms of fair price, really the best indicator will be what others in your particular area are charging. Maybe your district office would have that info or at least know of some packs that do rentals (hopefully they'd be willing to share that info).

You may also want to factor in what all you will be providing. The more you expect the "customer" to do, the less you should charge.
Randy Lisano

Husker
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Husker »

Our track has been used for districts a few times and is going to be used this year. This year we only doing the track and software. The derby chair and our committee chair are going. We've always do it free.

We might do more next year. I appreciate the comments. We're just kicking it around but we might get a hall for all day and schedule a couple of packs. Still just an idea.
Jason Henning

Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I think a $200 deposit and $50 rental for the day is fair.

If the track is only 2 or three years old, then a bigger deposit might be in order.

But certainly work out the details of hauling, storing and whos gonna put it up and take it back down.

A quick way for atrack to get ruined, if improper set up and take down.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:A quick way for atrack to get ruined, if improper set up and take down.
True, but during handling and transport is another big potential to get it damaged, especially if there is not a storage crate/box to help protect it.
Randy Lisano

Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

Randy and Son wrote:It seems like we always rent from a different place each year, so I can probably get a better idea of what rentals go for in this area
OK. It took me awhile to get the information, but our Pack has paid $125 each of the last two years for track rental. In both cases, the track owner (different each year) brought the track, timer, and projector to our site, set it up, ran the race, and left with everything after the race.

Everything else associated with the program was up to us. Announcers, decorations, trophies, food, everything.

Randy