Looking for "old style" pre-2009 wheels

Here's a place for members to buy, sell, trade or list wanted supplies, tools, etc.. This is not a forum for commercial merchants to advertise in.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Looking for "old style" pre-2009 wheels

Post by Darin McGrew »

This almost makes me wish that CSB uniforms included neckerchiefs...
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

I got home from my conference, and Daniel and I have marked, drilled, and cut all of the 1/2" PVC pipe sections. We ended up with two different size drill bits for the new versus old style wheels. We tried the dry brush and the "dip" method for painting the raised letters, and unfortunately neither method is working efficiently enough for us to finish by Saturday. We still have to get wheels on our cars, test the alignment, apply graphite and do the "burn in" on the wheels! As a result I'm afraid that these will go out with just black letters.

Two issues we discovered. First, the raised letters are not flat, they're on a curve. So trying to use them like an ink stamp wasn't working because the outer edges of the letters weren't getting covered. Second, the raised letters really are not raised that much, so with a "dry brush" technique we either got not enough paint on the letters, or some of it still ended up down in the nooks and crannies of the letters. We worked for about 30 minutes on one wheel with very disappointing results, and given the volume we're trying to make we're going to abandon the white lettering.

What's left is the gluing step which we'll do tomorrow (as bedtime has come and past for kiddos tonight.)

I'll post some pictures of the final results, but they won't be as nice as what has already been posted. Still a very fun project, and Daniel is quite proud of the idea and the fact that he's making them for all of the boys that will be racing on Saturday.
Bull223
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bull223 »

We used the testers white model paint pens. for our tires, the gold and silver sharpies we used for the spokes both individually or spun in a drill.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

We passed out the neckerchief slides today, and they were a big hit. After our race was over we hosted another race for a very small pack, and we had enough left over that he was able to give each of those boys a derby slide as well. It was awesome, and you could see that he was very proud of what he had made and was sharing.

Thanks to everyone that helped make it possible.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

I still think this is an amazing idea. Very innovative and perfect for a derby race.
drathbun wrote:you could see that he was very proud of what he had made and was sharing.
As he should be!
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

When we painted the letters on the tires we used the method described here look at picture #74.

We gave away 3 of them during the Pack race for good sportsmanship. Had a difficult time figuring out who to award them to (as most were showing good sportsmanship) so the comittee decided to pick 3 names from a hat and awarded them. My son got to wear his all day with his Boy Scout uniform.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

I posted pictures and the story of the slide construction here if anyone wants to read the end of the story. Thanks again to 5kidsracing, we could not have done it without you.