Want to buy 35' 4 lane Besttrack

Here's a place for members to buy, sell, trade or list wanted supplies, tools, etc.. This is not a forum for commercial merchants to advertise in.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Want to buy 35' 4 lane Besttrack

Post by JSG »

My pack is looking for a good used 4-lane 35' Besttrack. Ideally it would come with a timer and software but we could purchase these items separately. We are located in West Michigan. We are starting now to look for our next years race. I'll make note of it on this thread when and if we find one.

Thanks,

Jeff
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Want to buy 35' 4 lane Besttrack

Post by Scoremaker »

Hello JSG Here is a track you might want to look at.

CL > baton rouge > all for sale / wanted > general for sale - by owner
h5nq4-3536544035@sale.craigslist.org" target="_blank [?]

Posted: 2013-01-10, 2:34PM CST
Pinewood Derby Aluminum Best Track - $1350 (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)
Pineweod Derby Aluminum Best Track with 4 lanes for sale. Includes 4-lane champ timer with all wires, hook-ups needed for pc and a large digital display. It also includes the Jewkes Electromagnetic Edge Starter. The total value of the track is $2000. Selling for $1350. This track is in mint condition and has only been used 4 times. If out of the Baton Rouge, Louisiana area, we will need to also add shipping costs.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

That looks like a nice track at a good price. My only concern is buying one "long distance". It's one thing if I lose a few bucks of my own money but I would feel awful if I lost the pack's money. I would feel better if someone here knew the person and could vouch for them.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

I contacted the owner and this one's sold.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

We used 42' Best Track for the previous three years, I now know every joint and bolt on the thing.
Don't know if it will go up for sale as we replaced it this year.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

Let me know if it does.

Thanks!
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

If that $1350 price isn't throwing you off, you may want to consider buying new. A 4-lane 35' BestTrack new, is $942 delivered to your door. A Champ timer will put you over the $1350 mark, but Microwizard has options if you want to stay under it. I have dealt with both of those companies and would recommend them without reservation.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

The price concerned me a little bit but it came with some upgrades that probably pushed the price up. To buy what we're looking at new from Besttrack would be around $1,600.00 including shipping. If I could find a set up complete and in excellent condition for around $1,000.00 or less I think it would be worth it.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'd be careful about buying a track that has to be shipped (other than from Best Track directly). The aluminum is a bit soft, so unless the seller packs it up well, it may show up all dinged up.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

What's the allure of a best track over say a Freedom aluminum from micro wizard?

Just curious as our pack has a Freedom but we race on wood and best track at district.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

knotthed wrote:What's the allure of a best track over say a Freedom aluminum from micro wizard?

Just curious as our pack has a Freedom but we race on wood and best track at district.
Having used both tracks, they both are good tracks and the manufacturer's stand behind their product. They both do have their pros and cons, so I think it boils down to which one makes the better overall fit. The biggest differences between the tracks are storage space required and setup time. Though, other things to consider are track accessories and anodized coating vs. bare aluminum.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

gpraceman wrote:I'd be careful about buying a track that has to be shipped (other than from Best Track directly). The aluminum is a bit soft, so unless the seller packs it up well, it may show up all dinged up.
I hadn't thought of that Randy. That's a good point!
knotthed wrote:What's the allure of a best track over say a Freedom aluminum from micro wizard?

IMO it seemed like the BestTrack was a little more stoutly constructed when I looked at both of them a couple of years ago at districts. The set-up seemed to be easier (more dummy proof) to me. Nothing against the Freedom track. It's a great track.

I am beginning to think new is the way to go. We could save around $300.00 going with a Micro Wizard timer over the Champ timer. That would get us closer to $1,300.00 for a complete set up.

Any thoughts on the differences between The Champ and the Microwizard K2 timers? The K2 doesn't display elapsed times on the tower.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

JSG wrote:Any thoughts on the differences between The Champ and the Microwizard K2 timers? The K2 doesn't display elapsed times on the tower.
That's a bit apples and oranges. The Fast Track K3 timer is more comparable to The Champ. Though, The Champ is double sided, whereas the K3 is not.

If you are running a race with a timer, I recommend getting one with:

1) Some sort of finish results display. If the timer has a results display and you run into problems getting the timer to interface with a computer, the worst case scenario it to use old pencil and paper to run your race. While you could write down each lane time, if the timer displays that, it takes more time to score a race that way than just recording finish order. So, do you really need the timer to display the times?

2) Its own illumination source for the sensors. Less gear to pack and store than if you have to provide your own light source.

I do wish Best Track had a less expensive timer model as an option. The Champ is very nice, but not everyone needs (or has a budget for) a double sided timer that shows finish order and times.
Randy Lisano