Hot off the press !! colored wheels coming

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Hot off the press !! colored wheels coming

Post by Teeeman »

GravityRacer wrote:
Stan Pope wrote: But watch out for the graphite with Red Dye #7! :)
lol! What noxious effect would it have? Carbuncles on the aluminum track? Sarcoma in the joints?

scarlett-itis perhaps gulling away on a sable car...

(ooh, that hurts my head... brings back nightmares of Jr year high school lit in Mrs. Smith's English class... worst class I ever had to endure ever!)

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

hahahahahahaahaa...we even used to call our English lit teacher "Hester"!
mbb
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by mbb »

Uhhh...colored wheels, I dont care for . Tires are black arent they?

Modified wheels that are faster?? why?? The imperfect wheels are one of the good things about PWD, where the biggest differences can be made by taking time and effort to work on them. Just like the axles. Yes its a pain, but its how hard work and attention to detail separates the winners from the losers.

Why would anyone want to change this? Its worked for 55yrs or so hasnt it?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

They will also still offer black.

change is not always good, but in this case it is !! think the kids !! not the parents.

Sporty
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Trust me when I say from a background with around 5 years in design engineering of injection molded parts...

that there is a enough variance in the molding process that there will still be plenty of good and bad wheels produced, even from the same cavity of the same mold...

so don't worry...

there will be plenty of mod opportunities with any plastic wheel unless something radical has changed in mass production injection molding technology.

-T
plasticseng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by plasticseng »

Nah, Teeman. I'm still in the business; have been for 18 years. The variation will remain, like you said.

The only way they could make them really round would be to gate (inject) them in the center at the bore, which creates all kinds of other problems. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, but I would expect that there will still be plenty of opportunities for improvement.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

mbb wrote:Modified wheels that are faster?? why?? The imperfect wheels are one of the good things about PWD, where the biggest differences can be made by taking time and effort to work on them. Just like the axles. Yes its a pain, but its how hard work and attention to detail separates the winners from the losers.

Why would anyone want to change this? Its worked for 55yrs or so hasnt it?
I'd like to see the BSA wheels and axles improve (axles more than the wheels). This will raise the level of competition, which I think is a good thing. I also expect that it would help increase race participation and help more kids have a positive race experience.

I'm not worried about the faster racers, since they will always put in the extra time and effort to make a fast car. So, they work a bit harder and/or need to be more creative. I don't see how that would be a bad thing.

I see it as a win-win all around.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

plasticseng wrote:Nah, Teeman. I'm still in the business; have been for 18 years. The variation will remain, like you said.

The only way they could make them really round would be to gate (inject) them in the center at the bore, which creates all kinds of other problems. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, but I would expect that there will still be plenty of opportunities for improvement.
If old age and faded memory aren't corrupting my thinking, molding plastic is somewhat more art than science on the production floor.

Little things like ambient temp and even humidity (not to mention variances in the material a supplier may provide unannounced to save a penny or two) can cause the process to go [censored] in no time... and you can be down for minutes to days until you figure out which way to hold your jaw...

least that was how our vendors wanted us to feel about the process :)

I did observe enough to know a gazillion things can go wrong in the process and make it hard to turn a profit some days.

(when you have to sell parts by the million, literally, to profit just a few thousands of dollars in some cases)

My son doesn't quite believe me sometimes when he gets a plastic toy at Chuck-E-Cheese and I ask him how much he thinks it is worth...

he'll say a dollar...

I'll point out probably less than half a penny.

-T
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Teeeman wrote: can cause the process to go [censored] in no time...
Hey T,

Is that thar one of them teknical terms???

:mrgreen: :biggrin2: :mrgreen:

Steve
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

I've heard a guy with 10X more brains and knowledge than I'll ever possess use it with strong effect in a meeting...

so I am copying his moves :)

[censored] therefore is to me a good term to use...

least it is a good way to get a smile in a stodgy meeting when tempers are edging to boil...

-T
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote:I'd like to see the BSA wheels and axles improve (axles more than the wheels). This will raise the level of competition, which I think is a good thing. I also expect that it would help increase race participation and help more kids have a positive race experience.
I agree.

Many of the axles from this year's kits have heads that are so far off center or deformed that they won't even fit inside the cavity on the wheel and ride along the edge of the spokes instead.

IMO it kind of puts a damper on a newby's experience when the raw materials are that poor.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Any update on WHEN these new wheels will hit the street?

Thanks!

-T
mbb
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by mbb »

I agree with the axles, and this yrs batch was absolutely horrible as said. The axle heads were so far off most werent useable.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

mbb wrote:I agree with the axles, and this yrs batch was absolutely horrible as said. The axle heads were so far off most werent useable.

We luckily had axles from previous years we used on all but 1-2 cars.

With the new low in quality of the new axles... the previous axles we had culled as clunkers suddenly looked great to us...

we just made sure they were plenty straight with the axle press.

-T
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Nothing new that I have heard, look for them summer next year.

Sporty