Hot off the press !! colored wheels coming

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Hot off the press !! colored wheels coming

Post by sporty »

I heard that the colored wheels may be in the Jan 2009 catalog.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Looks like they are out now.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/Ite ... =175WHEELS

It looks like BSA has added some DerbyWorx tools as well.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Wow, sooner than I thought ! Awesome.

I already ordered !!

Order soon everyone, venders will be ordering also.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

sporty wrote:This is sorta a double post as I initially posted elswhere-

However, This is hot off the press-

I spoke with BJ Ryan & also Kahoot.

A gentleman named Mr. Nelson will be in charge of alot of this next year !

As Mrs. Ryan will no longer be in the same department.

In the middle of next year, after 2009 pinewood derby season.(for most of us)

You will see colored wheels and a new design of the wheels !

My understanding is that they want a more consistent molded wheel and faster wheel design.

So look for those older wheels to be fazed out sometime next year.

The colors that are approved and will be out-

Red,Yellow,Blue,Orange. black will still be sold also from my understanding.

I do not think the wheels will come in the kit, they likely will be sold in 4 packs.

They are also re-doing there molds for the new wheel.

So this is a year away, however it is approved and going to happen.

Sincerely,

Sporty

I am just glad I was able to share this early last year. Others who might have known or not know. It provided us with a heads up and to the vendors who did not know.

to try and prevent stock piling of the older wheels and older design.

Now we all know the new design came, it just slowly trickled as Bsa worked out there older supply.

While some will not like the new wheel design and it will more than likely hurt those who have the older and heavier wheels running against the newer wheels.

But down the road, I feel it will be better for the kids. epecially if they have reduced the flaws and imperfections in the new design of the wheels, that also seemed to very from one kit to another.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

update on colored wheels--

I have been spending some time, prepping and trueing up the colored wheels and thought id pass on my 2 cents.

The plastic is softer. thats for sure, pulled out some 2007 and 2006 black wheels and wow forgot how hard those are to work with. much harder plastic.

but Do not dis pair.

I actually think the softer wheels are a plus.

You can really true them up much quicker and polish the bore easier and faster and actually get a better polish with the softer plastic. Then the harder plastic.

It takes allot more work to get a good polish on the older harder plastic wheels.

It also seems the 2009 black wheels are softer also. might be due to them having to use a different heat and injection process with the colored wheels. so it doe not burn or change the colors.

so they must just leave these settings for the black wheels also.

I look forward to when I work with the new mold wheels and see if they are the same.

The only down fall with the softer wheels, is that they do wear quicker, polish and prep work. but due to the actual eaiser process of getting a quicker and better polish. It is almost a draw.

but seems that after 18 runs, You do see more wear than the older harder plastic wheels. But it takes almost three times as long to polish the older wheels also.

Yet I do not see the better polishing in these, as its seems to hard to get as good as a polish as i can on the softer plastic wheels.

Sporty
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by hwsjr »

At the district last year our car had to make 37 runs. With this many runs would the new softer wheels have bore problems that we didn't have with the older wheels?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thats a pretty good question with so many runs.

Since alot of the prep and vendor sites mention the prep process for 20 runs. I just asume that no matter what wheels you use, that 30+ runs is beyond most prep thats been done anyhow.

I still could be wrong on my asumption. But if you have done a good job, polish and prep. Then I would still not base my choice on hardness or softness of the wheel.

Because that many runs, you are going to be running on raw speed ability and alignment.

Thats why My testing and build process is all done before I do any lube runs. I want to see what the raw speed is with the lube gone and I want to see how much faster the lube makes the car and how many runs or how long the lube is going to last.

This provides such a great way to figure out the best apply method that relates to the pack you are racing at.

You can over pack the wheel bores, where the car will run slowe for 4 to 5 runs then start to pick up speed at the lube comes out of the wheels and have it peak out around 9-12th run and then start to drop off again. until you are just at the raw speed of the car without the lube.

I have only ever been able to get my peak to go as late as run 12-14. i have never gotten the car to peak out after 20 runs.

Some of the other parents at the pack, seem to have the lube process to peak out after 3 to 6 runs, which to me is to soon.

I would recommend if you have a test track try both wheels and see after 25-30 runs which one is faster.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

A few updates.

I am trying to get some interest going, to see about some green and pink wheels. Like pink wheels for the girls powder puff and cancer awareness.

I am hoping they might be interested in a limited run or something.

What do you guys think ? and gals ?

Also I recently noticed.

That when the wheels first came out, I had many at 2.4 grams, I recently bought some wheels from the scout store and are at 2.6 grams.

2009/2010 new black bsa wheels, untouched. I had one still laying around.

New from bsa, I just got last week.

A little blurry, but 2.6 grams.

Sporty
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Interesting. All of the wheels that I've ever weighed (including purchases from Max-V, stuff from BSA boxes and tubes from Revell) have come out at 2.6. According to some, the standard BSA weight is 2.7. Is this just an issue of quality control? Or was there an aberrant production run at some point?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Think it could be difference in the mold injection time, or more dinse plastic pellets.

I do not see extra flash or overall changes in size.

Could be density of the material or cycle time. Not really sure.
I stopped checking the weight of the wheels awhile ago and was not building much.

So, when the weight shifted from 2.4 to 2.6. I do not know
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

How about colored wheels, they come white, you dye them to your color.
Like derby word colortron wheels.