Colored wheels are here !!!!

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Colored wheels are here !!!!

Post by sporty »

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/Ite ... =175WHEELS

Initial topic i posted months back in general topic.

This is big news and I wanted to post here to get the word out !!

I bet these will sell and sell fast. I would not be surprised if they go out of stock before Jan. With then a wait. It will all depend on how many they have already done.

Sporty
Last edited by sporty on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Colored wheels are here !!!!

Post by PWD_addict »

Wonder when they'll show up in the local Scout Shops?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I will asume, depending on how soon they find out about it. Our local scout shop orders by the catalog.

So it might not be until they get the new catalog. They sell very basic stuff with pinewood derby.

I spent time last year providing info to buy more items to offer to there customers. They never did it.

They must have a account or credit set up with BSA. Thats all they order from.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Sporty,

You had mentioned that there might be possible design changes. Looking at the photos, there seems to be no change. Of course, I can't tell about back side changes or if any of the dimensions have changed.

I wonder if they are using the same molds to make all of these wheels, regardless of color. I would assume so.
Last edited by gpraceman on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Yes the person I had spoke with months back, Talked about new mold and a faster wheel.

But If that did not get passed or did not get changed or if we will wait and see when we actually have a set of the wheels in hand to look at.

I do not know there process when it comes to the molds.

They also could have just been refering to correcting some of the flaws or issues with the molds also. They had stated they had not been reworked in awhile.

But I have not heard anything new from them, posting on here might have upset them.

Then again, i am surprised the wheels are out now, But glad that they are.

I know the bigger issue might be now, is how the local and district and council races handle the new colored wheels.

when I had shared the info here locally and to council several months back. They were a bit surprised by it all.

Then it was unclear on when they would release them.

I mean one bit of info was June of 2009, then a few months back it was hinting at Jan of 2009.

Then they were released in Dec of 2008.

We can just wait tell we get them and look at them. I am so glad for this. So many kids are going to be so happy with this !

I have a feeling that it really will excite the kids even more with them having a choice of colored wheels.

Sporty
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Just picked up a set of the Blues and a set of the Yellows at the Scout shop during lunch. Getting ready to go put them on the lab scale now!

3CubDad
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

3 Cub Dad wrote:Just picked up a set of the Blues and a set of the Yellows at the Scout shop during lunch. Getting ready to go put them on the lab scale now!

3CubDad
Awesome, can't wait for the info.

Wow ! are local store does not have them yet ! you are so lucky ! I had to order mine !!

Sporty
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Talked with the lady who heads our scout store at the council, she said they came in last Friday. She said that they were actually pushed down from the warehouse, that she didn't even know they were coming.

They had the blue, yellow, red and orange, but no blacks.

3CubDad
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Did some quick checks. It kind of looks like they're using the existing molds. Also, the yellows had a little extra flashing on the inside edge. Here's what I've measured so far:

Blue Wheels

Mold 7 = 3.5555g
Mold 1 = 3.4568g
Mold 15 = 3.6073g
Mold 3 = 3.5375g

Yellow Wheels

Mold 10 = 3.5621g
Mold 2 = 3.5358g
Mold 16 = 3.5732g
Mold 10 = 3.5616g

I'll have to check dimensions when I get home tonight, after the pack meeting!

3CubDad
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

It looks like there trying to address the problem.but the wheels are still kinda heavy it seems.although they will dress up a car very nice :lol:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I moved this thread to the General Topics forum, since it is of interest to race coordinators and racers alike. You would think that the BSA lettering on the wheels would be a give away that they are official wheels, but the color may throw off some race coordinators and check-in inspectors.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

gpraceman wrote:I moved this thread to the General Topics forum, since it is of interest to race coordinators and racers alike. You would think that the BSA lettering on the wheels would be a give away that they are official wheels, but the color may throw off some race coordinators and check-in inspectors.
Randy,

That's a very good point. We were actually talking about it at the scout shop. Since these are official BSA wheels, in my opinion, they should not be an issue. We're going to make sure that our pack and district rule explicitly state that they are allowed!

3CubDad
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Yes thats why I also took the time to contact some of the local packs with the info and council.

However, some packs are more friendly than others when getting the word out.

It always surprises me, when say a committee member or den leader or assistant den leader is less than excited when you pass on information that only helps the pack and the kids.

sometimes I get some pretty rude responces.

sometimes trying to help and share the info for the kids, does not go so well.

Sporty
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

[Dons Cub Round Table Commissioner Campaign hat]

Be sure to go to your District Round Table with the official information and introduce the local leaders that do go to Round Table to the new wheels. It isn't too early to start!

[Doffs Cub Round Table Commissioner Campaign hat]
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

GravityRacer wrote:Be sure to go to your District Round Table with the official information and introduce the local leaders that do go to Round Table to the new wheels. It isn't too early to start!
That is a good idea. At our Round Tables, there are usually tables setup with fliers about this, that and the other thing. I imagine it is probably the same at other Round Tables. You could simply create a small display of these colored wheels for people to see as they grab their fliers.
Randy Lisano