Bandwidth Question

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Bandwidth Question

Post by terryep »

Re your recent concerns of exceeding bandwidth limits. Can we not limit the number and size of pictures posted to this site? Pictures are great but suck up a lot of bandwidth. If we could post the URLs to our pictures that would save a lot of bandwidth wouldn't it?

Terry
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Revisions to forum rules

Post by gpraceman »

terryep wrote:Re your recent concerns of exceeding bandwidth limits. Can we not limit the number and size of pictures posted to this site? Pictures are great but suck up a lot of bandwidth. If we could post the URLs to our pictures that would save a lot of bandwidth wouldn't it?

Terry
The only pictures that hit against the bandwidth for this site are the ones hosted here, like the avatars and a small number that I have placed on the board. Images that other people are posting hit against the bandwidth from where the photos are hosted.

Most of the bandwidth for this site is from the avatars and the total number of pages that are being viewed. This means to me that Derby Talk is catching on very good. I just need to reevaluate hosting, but I'll wait to do so since the racing season will be winding down shortly.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

Thanks for explaining the bandwidth thing. I hope we don't run out at peak racing season! Many thanks for running the Derbytalk site! I hope at worst it's a harmless hobby :D
Terry
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

terryep wrote:I hope at worst it's a harmless hobby :D
Terry
Let's see... I built a track, electronic finish line and christmas light tree; wrote two software packages; coordinated several races; and maintain 3 racing related websites. Some hobby :!:
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bandwidth Question

Post by gpraceman »

FYI - The lights are still on here the end of February since a couple of people stepped forward and offered to pay the excess bandwidth charge (double the normal monthly hosting charge) :thumbup:

It is the last day of the month and we are at 105% of the bandwidth limit. Since the board is catching on well, I'll have to upgrade the hosting to get more bandwidth. It doesn't make sense to do it now since peak racing season is nearing an end.
Randy Lisano