New BSA Wheel and Axle??

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: New BSA Wheel and Axle??

Post by Stan Pope »

winderby wrote:As Stan Pope so eloquently states on his closing signatures - "if it's not for the kids, it's for the birds". I hope it was O.K. to quote you, Stan.
Quite all right, even with the generalization. My emphasis is Cub Scouts which, around here, are all "boys". But there's girls in other PW racing and it needs to be "for them" too!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

There is a couple of pics of some red and orange, new mold wheels.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

It doesn't seem like anyone has seen the new wheels yet in Blue.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

As an aside, I wonder if National is ever going to change the picture of the car on the box to reflect updated wheels. :scratching:

Even the "2010" car on the new boxes is sporting pre-1999 wheels... :doh:

Just wondering... :?

Bubba

...but I guess at least they're not PineCar or Awana wheels LOL :whew:
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Have not been able to find them here in surburban Detroit. Check the council store and they didn't have any. Had tubes with 4 wheels and white lids, no new wheels in them though. Looked through all the colors. Nothing.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Hello everybody this is my first post here at Derby Talk. I just want to let everybody know here that I like reading the interesting information on Derby Talk and passing along the great information to my son, who is a bear cub this year. We learned alot from reading this forum.

Anyway I ordered 4 BSA Pinewood Derby kits and 5 replacement wheel 4 packs, one in each color (red, blue, orange, yellow, and black) from scoutstuff.org. The package just arrived today. Out of 5 replacement packs the red had the new 2009 wheels in it. I open each of the 4 Pinewood Derby kits and each one of the kits had the new wheels in them. I thought this information might be helpful to you all.

John
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

john4840 wrote:Hello everybody this is my first post here at Derby Talk.
:welcome:
john4840 wrote:I open each of the 4 Pinewood Derby kits and each one of the kits had the new wheels in them. I thought this information might be helpful to you all.
:thumbup: Thanks for confirming that the new-style wheels seem to be making their way into kits now.
Traveler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Traveler »

Out of curiosity, does the box have a stamped code on one side? Elsewhere, I read that someone picked up some kits at a Scout Shop and got the new wheels also. They noted a different box code (not the UPC) stamped into one side. I looked at an older box I had at home and found that the "old" code he mentioned matched with my old code. If your code is different than "Z", let us know. The box code on all of the other new kits he received was "6080NI". This code is about 1/4" tall and located on one of the box sides, near the end where the logo "Scout Derby" is shown. Maybe this could be a way to determine if the wheels inside are 1999 or 2009? However, based on the "black cap vs. white cap" theory on the spare wheel kits, this too could end up as more myth than reality.

Thanks,

Traveler
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Traveler wrote:Out of curiosity, does the box have a stamped code on one side? Elsewhere, I read that someone picked up some kits at a Scout Shop and got the new wheels also. They noted a different box code (not the UPC) stamped into one side. I looked at an older box I had at home and found that the "old" code he mentioned matched with my old code. If your code is different than "Z", let us know. The box code on all of the other new kits he received was "6080NI". This code is about 1/4" tall and located on one of the box sides, near the end where the logo "Scout Derby" is shown. Maybe this could be a way to determine if the wheels inside are 1999 or 2009? However, based on the "black cap vs. white cap" theory on the spare wheel kits, this too could end up as more myth than reality.

Thanks,

Traveler
Hey Traveler. I looked on the boxes and I saw the stamped code you are talking about, and I have the same code. But I believe that the code should be read as "IN0809" not "9080NI."

John
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

john4840 wrote:But I believe that the code should be read as "IN0809"
:thinking: Perhaps an inventory date code for August '09?
Traveler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Traveler »

Well, since it was not my kit, it is possible that the code was typed incorrectly by the other person that reported it(translated: they read it upside down). In any case, it seems to be the same coding. For what it's worth, I stopped into a local "BSA Authorized Shop" that sells basic scout stuff and the kits they had on the shelf still had the "Z" code stamped on the box.

FatSebastian's observation makes some sense, but at least we have a clue what to look for if we run across some kits in the shop. If I run across a kit marked "IN0809" at a shop, I will buy it just to prove/disprove the theory!

Thanks,
Traveler
Traveler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Traveler »

For what it's worth, I just received an order from BSA supply and the BLUE wheels I received are the new mold. It seems that all spares kits are shipping as 2009 molds as the red, yellow, and orange wheels were also new.

For curiosity, I also ordered a complete kit, after hearing that there were some new wheels shipping in the pinewood kit. Unfortunately, my kit had the 1999 wheels, along with the stamped "Z" code on the outside of the box.

Traveler
Last edited by Traveler on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 5kidsracing »

Here is a picture of the box with the "IN0809" or "6080NI" stamping, I originally read it oriented the same as the text on the box but it makes more sense that it could be a date.

5kidsracing
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I will see if I can find out for you about the stamping date code, What it means.

It will likely take me a week to get the info. If they know.

Welcome to Derby Talk, 5kidsracing ! :bigups: :bigups: :bigups:

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

5kidsracing wrote:Here is a picture of the box with the "IN0809" or "6080NI" stamping, I originally read it oriented the same as the text on the box but it makes more sense that it could be a date.
With the shape of the number 8, I would think that the larger circle is the bottom of the number. So, I read that as "IN0809" or maybe "1N0809", which does look like a date code.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.