Leader Division - More Weight & Fewer Rules

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
GrimJeeper91
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leader Division - More Weight & Fewer Rules

Post by GrimJeeper91 »

I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. This year we've decided (at my suggestion) to have a leader division with fewer
rules. Here are the proposed rules (which are a work in progress):

1. All cars must be made from the standard BSA official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby kit made this year.
However, the only component that must be used is the wood block. The rest of the pieces are optional.
2. Added parts must fit within the specified dimensions.
Key Specs: Weight: 10 oz Width: 2 ¾” Length: 7” Height: 3” Clearance: 3/8”
3. If you put weights on the bottom they must be recessed. A minimum of 3/8” clearance is needed to clear the track.
4. No loose materials of any kind (slip weights, lead shot, etc.) are allowed in/on the car. The car may be hollowed and weight
added to the allowable limit provided it is securely attached.
5. Car must be free wheeling with no starting or propulsion devices.
6. The car must start by gravity from a stand still, no pushing or launching devices are permitted.
7. Only dry lubricants (i.e. graphite) may be used.

Our track is the channel type (rails on each side of the car like this |___|), not the center strip style. We have the min height
requirement because we also have a practice track that is the center strip type.

Does anyone have an comments or input in regards to the rules we are drawing up?

With the doubled weight these things will fly. As a Cub leader this is only my 3rd PWD so I do consider myself a novice. However,
I am a mechanical engineer and have 3D CAD and rapid prototyping at my fingertips so I have a lot of options. I feel the need for
speed and would appreciate advice from the experts. Of particular concern is what to do for axles. Bearings or no bearings? Of
course I will design and RP my own wheels and make sure they are true with a lathe. I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks,
SoCal Bear Leader
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Leader Division - More Weight & Fewer Rules

Post by FatSebastian »

GrimJeeper91 wrote:I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post.
:welcome:
GrimJeeper91 wrote:Of course I will design and RP my own wheels...
With RP access, you may be interested in this post if you haven't seen it already. I found the video especially entertaining.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Leader Division - More Weight & Fewer Rules

Post by Darin McGrew »

GrimJeeper91 wrote:I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post.
Welcome!
GrimJeeper91 wrote:This year we've decided (at my suggestion) to have a leader division with fewer
rules.
FWIW, we considered an "outlaw" division, and decided that it sets a better example for everyone to be subject to the same rules.
GrimJeeper91 wrote:1. All cars must be made from the standard BSA official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby kit made this year.
However, the only component that must be used is the wood block. The rest of the pieces are optional.
How do you plan to enforce this rule? And if you're allowing third-party wheels, axles, bearings, etc., then why would you care that half an ounce (or less) of wood came from a standard kit?
GrimJeeper91 wrote:7. Only dry lubricants (i.e. graphite) may be used.
I'd replace this rule for everyone. I think pack529holycross explains the the reasons very well in this reply to the "Oil" thread.
GrimJeeper91 wrote:With the doubled weight these things will fly.
Double weight will make some difference in finish times, but it will make a huge difference in the ability of your track's brake section to stop the cars.