Forum Support for Smart Phones

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum Support for Smart Phones

Post by gpraceman »

I had a member email me requesting to add support for viewing the forum for iPhones. This would require the use of a plug-in to the forum software for better viewing on a phone.

So, is this something that other members would be interested in?

Are members already using mobile apps like TouchBB, Tapatalk, etc. to participate in forums? If so, which one?

The idea is intriguing, but I would want to make sure that other smart phones are supported, not just iPhones. I also want something that is easy to implement and maintain from the board admin perspective.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SlowSteve
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Forum Support for Smart Phones

Post by SlowSteve »

I've just started to regularly scan the board from my IPod Touch at night (using the Safari browser via home WiFi connection) - other than the tiny screen this works great.

It is a bit cumbersome to navigate the board using my Blackberry, but it's still doable. Phone friendly support (removal of some of the graphics to allow for quicker loading or whatever is done to better support smart phones) would be convenient but I wouldn't worry about it if it's expensive or time consuming to implement.

Steve
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

SlowSteve wrote:Phone friendly support (removal of some of the graphics to allow for quicker loading or whatever is done to better support smart phones)
Would adjusting some of the settings of your User Control Panel help?
SlowSteve
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SlowSteve »

Probably, but then I'd have to log in on my blackberry every time (which isn't the easiest thing to do) plus I like seeing all the graphics when I'm viewing from a regular computer. I'd hate to have to login and have to change settings each time I visit the forum, depending upon the device I'm using to view it. That's complicating life way too much. :)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

For anyone with an iPhone, I uploaded the TouchBB plug-in. I don't have an iPhone (don't need no fancy phone when I sit in front of the computer all day ;) ) so I cannot attest to how well it will work with the forum. The member that suggested adding that support indicates that it works for him.

Later I'll take a look at the Tapatalk plug-in, which will support more smart phones than just iPhones.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

My concern would be that I'd have to read all the new posts on my phone, otherwise I'd miss posts the next time I used the "View new posts" link from a real computer.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Darin McGrew wrote:My concern would be that I'd have to read all the new posts on my phone, otherwise I'd miss posts the next time I used the "View new posts" link from a real computer.
I'm not quite sure how the forum software keeps track of that. If it is cookie based, then it would be a problem. But I have a feeling that it is stored in the site's database, so it would not not be a problem how you access the site.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Implementing these apps is easier than I expected. I have added the plug-in for Tapatalk. It supports iPhone, Android and soon to be Blackberry and Nokia.

They have a free "Read-only" viewer app or you can get the full app for $2.99. For more info go to http://www.tapatalk.com/

With this or any mobile device forum plug-in, I will not make any guarantees on how will it will work with the forum. I also get no financial benefit from these apps.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Anyone with an iPhone or Android be willing to at least download the Tapatalk read-only app to verify that the plug-in is working?
Randy Lisano

psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

I tried Tapatalk. I can't get to the forum. It's not in their list and I can't find how to directly enter the url of this site. Tried the free version.

Touchbb lets me see the forum. Had an issue getting logged in via the web after that seems to have cleared itself, but can't see pm's from my iphone. I tried to send you one Randy, doesn't seem to have gone through. But after that, I could finally log in via the web. :wall:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

psycaz wrote:I tried Tapatalk. I can't get to the forum. It's not in their list and I can't find how to directly enter the url of this site. Tried the free version.
I resubmitted the site to their list. Hopefully, you can find it now.
psycaz wrote:Touchbb lets me see the forum. Had an issue getting logged in via the web after that seems to have cleared itself, but can't see pm's from my iphone. I tried to send you one Randy, doesn't seem to have gone through. But after that, I could finally log in via the web. :wall:
Sorry, that was me messing with the site cookies for the login issue. It was a change recommended on their forum. The second half of that change was not yet implemented. I have reverted everything back for the moment. Now that I know how to automatically redirect "derbytalk.com" to "http://www.derbytalk.com", I can implement both parts at once. Though, once I do, you will need to re-login.

Thanks for checking.
Randy Lisano

psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Found it finally using derbytalk.

Looks good.

I don't want to pay to view full screen images, but otherwise, not bad for on the go. I do hve the full site bookmarked so I can easily view what I want anyway. Just nice to have something designed for the phones. Loads much, much faster.

Thanks Randy
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Seems like I caused several people to have login issues. I made a change that will hopefully resolve that issue, but you may have to login one more time for it to take effect for you.

Sorry! :oops: :paperbag:
psycaz wrote:I don't want to pay to view full screen images, but otherwise, not bad for on the go. I do hve the full site bookmarked so I can easily view what I want anyway. Just nice to have something designed for the phones. Loads much, much faster.
So, I guess I know what some members will be doing while sitting in their meetings. :roll:
Randy Lisano

SlowSteve
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SlowSteve »

I downloaded the Tapatalk app, it works very well and really simplifies perusing the forum.

Thanks for looking into this Randy!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

SlowSteve wrote:I downloaded the Tapatalk app, it works very well and really simplifies perusing the forum.
I'm glad it is working well.

My son is saving up to get an iTouch. I guess once he gets it, I'll have to borrow it and see first hand how these apps work.
Randy Lisano