Derby Talk Board

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
SlowSteve
Journeyman
Journeyman

Derby Talk Board

Post by SlowSteve »

Randy, a quick question for you about the Derby Talk Board.

When viewing the board, is there a way to add an option that would allow the reader to view the nth most recent posts in all forums? (i.e. the 20 most recent, or 40 most recent, or whatever?)

As it's getting to be Pinewood Derby season I love reading the Derby Talk board as well as the myriad other Pinewood Derby related discussion boards, and many of them have a link down near the bottom that allows the viewer to quickly scan the most recent topics/posts. It is a bit more cumbersome to keep up to date with the most recent posts on the DerbyTalk board because I have to scan each forum on the home page to see if there has been a recent post (I look for the date and time of the most recent post to see if there is anything new since my last visit).

Perhaps the software this board runs on does not allow for this, but if it does I’d think this might make for a valuable addition to the user friendliness of this board? Is this a feature that might be able to be incorporated into this site?

Thanks!

Steve
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Derby Talk Board

Post by gpraceman »

There is always the "View new posts" link near the top of the page. Then you see all the new posts that you have not yet read.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SlowSteve
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SlowSteve »

Duh! I was looking in the wrong place (down near the bottom of the page).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Steve
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Also, I find it handy to click on the little yellow arrow for a thread. That will take you to the first unread post in that thread.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:Also, I find it handy to click on the little yellow arrow for a thread. That will take you to the first unread post in that thread.
:? Do you mean the little plus sign [+] beside the name of the topic with unread posts?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote:
gpraceman wrote:Also, I find it handy to click on the little yellow arrow for a thread. That will take you to the first unread post in that thread.
:? Do you mean the little plus sign [+] beside the name of the topic with unread posts?
This little arrow Image

In a thread you have visited before, you will see the arrow be blue (next to the post's subject) for posts you have read and yellow for those you have not.
Randy Lisano

SlowSteve
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SlowSteve »

Randy, I just figured out why I couldn't find it earlier. I often do not log in, instead I just scan posts (and then log in if I want to post a message). I do see the "view new posts" link in the upper right hand corner of the page when I am logged in, but if I don't log in I don't see this link (perhaps because it's cookie driven and allows the user to see only the posts that are new since his/her last login?). This is a neat feature, but might it also be possible to put a link on the page one sees when they are not logged in that would allow the viewer to see some number of recent posts? I think this would add value to the forum (if the underlying software allows for such).

Perhaps the idea is to encourage people to login, which is also fine, as it encourages participation in the forum?

Either way, thanks for a providing a great Cub friendly forum!

Steve
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote: This little arrow Image
:doh: With my browser / screen combination, it appears so small that I thought it was a plus sign! If I magnify it, sure enough it is an arrow. :thanks:
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

SlowSteve wrote:Randy, I just figured out why I couldn't find it earlier. I often do not log in, instead I just scan posts (and then log in if I want to post a message). I do see the "view new posts" link in the upper right hand corner of the page when I am logged in, but if I don't log in I don't see this link (perhaps because it's cookie driven and allows the user to see only the posts that are new since his/her last login?). This is a neat feature, but might it also be possible to put a link on the page one sees when they are not logged in that would allow the viewer to see some number of recent posts? I think this would add value to the forum (if the underlying software allows for such).

Perhaps the idea is to encourage people to login, which is also fine, as it encourages participation in the forum?

Either way, thanks for a providing a great Cub friendly forum!

Steve
I login "automagically" using whatever memory feature is used in Windows Internet Explorer. No fuss! If memory is ever lost, I have to go back to my (offline) notes to see what my login info is... Maybe every few months. :)

There is value to knowing who is logged in and who is really a visitor. So login dependent features are a plus!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"