What's after the districts?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Turbo_Python
Journeyman
Journeyman

What's after the districts?

Post by Turbo_Python »

Ok, so concluding we have a contender. And being pressured to do district races (win, lose, or draw). We'd like to keep racing as much as possible. What's the next step? I can't find any info on races after district events?
"I wanted to devise a wholesome, constructive activity that would foster a closer father-son relationship and
promote craftsmanship and good sportsmanship through competition."
Don Murphy, 1953 (Founder of PWD)
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: What's after the districts?

Post by john4840 »

Turbo_Python wrote:We'd like to keep racing as much as possible.
Ditto. It would be nice if our Council had a PWD. I think because the rules vary between districts in our Council that it would hard to coordinate one.

John
shovelhead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by shovelhead »

We are in same boat. This was our second year to win Pack champion. Last year after going undefeated in district race, they said, "good job see ya next year".
There is no more races above district in our area. Just south of us in the Houston area, I think they have Council races and maybe even higher levels of racing in the scout organization.
So I guess if we do good again this year in district race, we will go home and put this years car on the shelf with the trophy.

Guess it could be worse. We could just have a Pack race and that's all.
2010 Pack 621 champ
2010 Cherokee Trace champ
2011 Pack 621 champ
azgreg
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by azgreg »

This year our Council races are held during Scout-A-Rama on April 9th. The district races are held on April 30th. Go figure. If you have the itch to race some more get together with other scout families in your area and hold your own races. There are online leagues, but we won't get into them here.
Turbo_Python
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Turbo_Python »

azgreg wrote:This year our Council races are held during Scout-A-Rama on April 9th. The district races are held on April 30th. Go figure. If you have the itch to race some more get together with other scout families in your area and hold your own races. There are online leagues, but we won't get into them here.
I think that's what it's come down to. I was discussing the idea with my family of a race on our own track, but we don't have a timer(yet). I built a 2 lane 40' track for testing cars, and I thought it would be fun to run a race at our house.
"I wanted to devise a wholesome, constructive activity that would foster a closer father-son relationship and
promote craftsmanship and good sportsmanship through competition."
Don Murphy, 1953 (Founder of PWD)
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Turbo_Python wrote:... but we don't have a timer(yet). ...
Sounds like a job for Arduino! (Neat little gadget!) Or if you are not concerned with spending a few more $, a kit from Microwizard.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
azgreg
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by azgreg »

Stan Pope wrote:
Turbo_Python wrote:... but we don't have a timer(yet). ...
Sounds like a job for Arduino! (Neat little gadget!).
Please elaborate.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno is a programmable microcontroller with USB interface to emulate a COM port. Microcontroller programming is done in a C-like language an integrated development environment (IDE) on your PC. Add a start gate switch and a few resistors, LED's and Photodiodes and you should be able to make a nice timing gate with readout to computer.

You might be able to approach the cost and have a better product going with a MicroWizard kit that includes a computer interface ... have to look at 'em to know for sure.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"