Won pack night, 2nd year in a row! Any advice for District?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
75racer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Won pack night, 2nd year in a row! Any advice for District?

Post by 75racer »

My son and I are fairly new to cub scouting, we started last year just before derby races. We put together a car just a few days before the race and actually won the night with it. However, when we went to district last year he didn't even make it past the first heat. This year we started a lot earlier on the car and it did well again in the Pack races. My son placed 1st in his den and 1st overall in the pack. Our best time was in the 206-207mph range. At the check in table, the car weighed in at 4.94oz and my son did not want to add weight to it. I'm wondering if we add .05oz worth weight to it would it do much better at District with a 4.99-5.00oz weight? I don't think we want to remove the wheels/axles and possibly mess up what seems to be a good setup. By complete accident, one of the front wheels was slightly raised and the car ran straight on 3 so we don't want to lose that advantage but I was wondering what else we could possibly do to try and increase it's speed a bit before District.

Thanks!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Won pack night, 2nd year in a row! Any advice for Distri

Post by Stan Pope »

This kind of issue was addressed a few days ago in this thread. I asked that poster some questions. I'd ask you the same.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Won pack night, 2nd year in a row! Any advice for Distri

Post by FatSebastian »

75racer wrote:I'm wondering if we add .05oz worth weight to it would it do much better at District with a 4.99-5.00oz weight?
FWIW, here is a recent topic related to this subject. Extrapolating from info there, adding 0.05 ounces (less than a couple of grams) might provide a ~3/8" advantage at the finish line. (This extrapolation presumes that you are putting the weight in the car rather than on the car, as adding shape to the exterior has the potential to introduce slight aerodynamic losses.) Some specific recommendations and questions can also be seen in this thread.
75racer wrote:I don't think we want to remove the wheels/axles and possibly mess up what seems to be a good setup. [...] I was wondering what else we could possibly do to try and increase it's speed a bit before District.
You could at least add lube.