I'll take 20 wedge cars and a large fry...

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

I'll take 20 wedge cars and a large fry...

Post by Scubersteve »

So I get to build 20 cars for our Awana GP race coming up on the 4th... We are holding it on a Wednesday night instead of a Saturday afternoon this year. Because of that change we should have way more kids than usual including all the kids who didn't/couldn't build a car for what ever reason (lack of parental involvement, or perhaps lack of parents altogether). So we decided, so as to not exclude those kids, that we should build a bunch of "stock" cars that they can decorate with markers and stickers, race, and keep. So now I get to build 20 basic wedge cars. They will all be white, 4 wheels flat touching, minimal wheel and axle prep, 4.95oz cars. (gotta leave room for the kids decorations). I figured they need to be kept simple not only for ease of construction but also so they don't outshine the cars actually built by the other kids. At the same time you don't want to make these kids feel like second class citizens by giving them a piece of junk car. I figure allowing them to personalize the cars before the race should increase the coolness factor for them. So now I need to go borrow a table saw and a belt sander from someone and gear up an assembly line. Good times. :eek:
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: I'll take 20 wedge cars and a large fry...

Post by dna1990 »

I'll jump in so Randy won't have to, and suggest looking at MaxV or one of the other vendors. They already sell some premade wedges or others designs, likely as cheap as full kit, but already cut.

If the kids could be more involved, I would not suggest purchasing - but a wedge is not a cut most youngters should do by themselves.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

After looking on the MaxV site, I just don't think that is cost-effective for this volume. Especially as I can get two wedges out of each block and the Awana commander has extra wheels and axles to make up the difference.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Scubersteve wrote:...4.95oz cars...
What are you planning to use for ballast?
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

I figure I'll drill a hole above the rear wheel from the side and pour lead straight into it. Cap it off with filler and paint over it. If they want to expose themselves to lead they will have to work for it.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

Well, got 80 holes drilled in 10 blocks and borrowed a table saw and cut out the cars. It was my first experience with a table saw and I burned a few of the cars as I cut them. Happily I do still have all my fingers. Drilled a 5/8" weight pocket directly above the rear axle on each. Time for wood filler and a belt sander.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

Got the lead poured, filler capping it off, sanded and first coat of primer sprayed. I drilled all the weight pockets to the same depth, but there is a weight range of 4.55-4.95 oz. I guess it's due to the differing densities of the blocks. Oh well, there is no telling what each car is going to run like with no alignment work, no wheel or axle prep, varying weight, and what ever the kids do to them to personalize them before the race. I just hope the event goes well. :pray:
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

Finished up the freebie cars. I failed to allow sufficient leeway for the weight of paint, so I had to go back and lighten 9 out of the 20. :wall: I took them to church last night to try them on the track which we were setting up for the race on Wednesday to make sure they would all make it to the finish line. (remember, no axle or wheel prep, no lube, no alignment) Well, none of them made it there and they all sounded terrible going down the track. Fortunately the "dry lube only" rule dissappeared from the official awana rules in the kit so I brought them home and put a drop of oil on each axle. Way faster to apply than graphite. They all sound better now and seem to roll better on the table. I'll have to try them again before I give them out on Wednesday. I have never tried to build a half-way car before so I wasn't sure how much/little to do. I can't give kids cars that don't even finish the track. That's just wrong.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:kewlpics:
Scubersteve wrote:Well, none of them made it there and they all sounded terrible going down the track.
Out of curiosity, how long and how high is your track?
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

home made wooden track. 30 ft pin to finish. about 52" high at pin.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

had the race tonight, and I screwed up. My freebie cars were too fast. Only 7 were used, but they were all in the top 10 and three were in the top 4. I shouldn't have weighted them at all. Fortunately the fastest car was not one of those so at least a car a child put some effort into won. Other than that it went pretty well. 22 cars total, (doesn't sound like much, but it was more than double last years) no DNFs (except a few crashes), 2 rounds, 1 4th place runoff, 4 top 4 heads up races, 49 heats total, 1 hour of racing with a 10 min snack break at the halfway point. The free excel ppn chart worked well. I printed out a sheet for my stager/starter which kept things moving along. All things considered, it went pretty well. Everyone seemed to have fun.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sometimes it is not enough to do our best; we must do what is required. :clap:

GOOD JOB KID'S!

Scubersteve, The Table Saw Blade... (needs replaced)
Smokin hot cars dont require cut off fingers.

I myself I'm working on 40 pre cut vintage retro cars to send to PA.
Axel supports were cut down to 1 3/4 instead of 1 7/8 long.
Only the kids will be useing the wheels & axels supplied today!
(sorry no vintage wheels)

Photo:
TWO MORE CARS TO GO!
Minus - the one seen seting on top.

So: I'll take 40 vintage retro cars and a large fry... and an ice tea.

Good job: on the tater wedge's.. ( 20 wedge cars. ) :thumbup:
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

and I thought I had a big job... good on ya for undertaking that project.
More ambitious than mine was. good luck!